This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best format for Hauppauge MediaMVP

Please point me in the right direction if this has been asked and answered (I've looked thru faqs and searched threads, haven't found it). What's the best DVD>Mobile option for creating files to be played back using Hauppauge's MediaMVP?

In the past I've done DVD>DVD (cuz that's what I bought), then combined using VideoRedo. There's a better way right?

I've played around with creating AVIs but none of them play right on the MediaMVP; they're in slow motion.

If you post the specs of what the device actually supports then we may be able to assist you.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Sorry, yes, good point. Thought maybe someone here would have one and have this already figured out.

From http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...mediamvp.html:

* Play MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and DivX® videos
      * Connects to Ethernet networks with standard RJ-45 connectors!
      * Create MPEG videos on your PC with Hauppauge's WinTV (optional), then play those videos on your TV set through MediaMVP. MediaMVP works with videos recorded with WinTV, WinTV-PVR and with our international digital TV tuners. MediaMVP also supports most standard MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and DivX® videos.
      * MediaMVP is a Linux based digital media receiver. Inside MediaMVP is a high performance IBM PowerPC processor and a hardware MPEG audio/video decoder for MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 videos and MP3 music.
      MediaMVP receives digital media from the PC via the Ethernet LAN, decodes the media and outputs audio/video to the TV set through the S-Video and composite A/V connectors.

MediaMVP video decoder specification

• Dedicated hardware decode support for MPEG-2 Transport Stream, MPEG-2 MP@ML, and MPEG-1. Decodes full CCIR601 resolution NTSC and PAL encoded MPEG-2 bit streams in real time, up to and including 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL).
      • Hardware audio decoder: MPEG-1 level 2 (MP3) or level 3 (PCM audio not supported at this time).
      • Decodes MPEG datarates from 1.5 Mbits/sec to 8 Mbits/sec
      • Video output: composite, S-Video and RGB (Scart equipped models only)
      • Upscales half screen resolution video to full screen. For example, MediaMVP will take 320x240 VCD video and play it full screen. It also offers a tunable Anti-Flicker Filter.
      • Three level anti-flicker filter
      • Outputs NTSC and PAL video, software selectable

MediaMVP audio decoder specification

• Dedicated hardware decode support for MPEG-1 level 2 or level 3 audio (MP3 audio).
      • Decodes MP3 audio with datarates up to 320 Kbits/sec, variable or fixed
      • Decodes mono and stereo. Mono audio sent to both left and right channels.

*** The following file, recorded from incoming cable (TV) using WIN-PVR as an MPG file then converted to AVI with VirtualDub, plays just fine:

General
      Complete name : Sonny With a Chance-(Prank'd)-2009-09-20 (edited).avi
      Format : AVI
      Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
      File size : 297 MiB
      Duration : 21mn 34s
      Overall bit rate : 1 928 Kbps
      Writing library : VirtualDub build 30091/release

Video
      Format : MPEG-4 Visual
      Format profile : Streaming Video@L1
      Format settings, BVOP : Yes
      Format settings, QPel : No
      Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
      Format settings, Matrix : Default
      Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
      Codec ID : XVID
      Codec ID/Hint : XviD
      Bit rate : 1 820 Kbps
      Width : 720 pixels
      Height : 480 pixels
      Display aspect ratio : 1.500
      Frame rate : 29.970 fps
      Standard : NTSC
      Resolution : 24 bits
      Colorimetry : 4:2:0
      Scan type : Progressive
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.176
      Stream size : 281 MiB (94%)
      Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
      Format : AC-3
      Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
      Codec ID : 2000
      Bit rate mode : Constant
      Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
      Channel(s) : 2 channels
      Channel positions : L R
      Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
      Stream size : 14.8 MiB (5%)
      Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
      Interleave, duration : 33 ms (1.00 video frame)
      Interleave, preload duration : 512 ms

*** The following file, created using VOB passthru and renamed from .VOB to .MPG, has good video but no sound:

General
      Complete name : 09 - Title8_2.mpg
      Format : MPEG-PS
      File size : 301 MiB
      Duration : 7mn 59s
      Overall bit rate : 5 264 Kbps

Video
      ID : 224 (0xE0)
      Format : MPEG Video
      Format version : Version 2
      Format profile : Main@Main
      Duration : 82ms
      Bit rate mode : Variable
      Bit rate : 4 451 Kbps
      Nominal bit rate : 9 800 Kbps
      Width : 720 pixels
      Height : 480 pixels
      Display aspect ratio : 16/9
      Frame rate : 29.970 fps
      Standard : Component
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.430

Audio
      ID : 128 (0x80)
      Duration : 7mn 59s
      Bit rate : 448 Kbps
      Channel(s) : 6 channels
      Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE

Menu
      Format : DVD-Video

*** The following file, created by DVD>Mobile using AVI, plays in slow motion:
      General
      Complete name : Title8.avi
      Format : AVI
      Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
      File size : 102 MiB
      Duration : 8mn 0s
      Overall bit rate : 1 780 Kbps
      Movie name : HORTON_HEARS_A_WHO.Title8.DVDRip
      Writing application : Lavf52.33.0
      Original source form/Name : HORTON_HEARS_A_WHO

Video
      Format : MPEG-4 Visual
      Format profile : Simple@L3
      Format settings, BVOP : No
      Format settings, QPel : No
      Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
      Codec ID : XVID
      Codec ID/Hint : XviD
      Bit rate : 1 321 Kbps
      Width : 704 pixels
      Height : 396 pixels
      Display aspect ratio : 16/9
      Frame rate : 23.976 fps
      Resolution : 24 bits
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.198
      Stream size : 75.6 MiB (74%)
      Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
      Codec ID : 2000
      Bit rate : 448 Kbps
      Channel(s) : 6 channels
      Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
      Stream size : 25.6 MiB (25%)
      Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
      Interleave, duration : 32 ms (0.77 video frame)

Thank you.

Comment

From the specs, I would try the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile for a start to see what you feel about the results.

Use 2 pass encoding, video bitrate of 1100 and a resolution near the original DVD, usually 720 x XXX (PAL), 704 x XXX (NTSC)

Have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread in the Knowledgebase section of this forum before you start.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thank you. Found the thread (http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=543). In it you say "set the "Create files in subfolder of output directory" to "OFF"". Where is that setting found? Where can I learn more about what 1-pass vs 2-pass is about? Why did you say 1100 for bitrate, is that kind of standard or based on something specific to my media? 16/9 comes out to 1.777 so I have tried to find something as close to that for aspect ratio; what impact does the overall size (e.g. 704 vs 720) have? I'd imagine I'd see more difference on my PC flatscreen than my 27" CRT TV right? Thank you for the help! I appreciate learning this stuff.

Comment

In Settings (Green tick on top rh of Fab window), General, 5th box down.

You will have to do some research on other encoding forums. A quick and dirty non-technical explanation is that 1 pass does a best guess enconding on the fly where 2 pass does analysis on the first pass and applies that analysis on the second pass.

I always have felt that 2 pass gives better results but it does take approx twice as long.

I say the 1100 bitrate from years of bitter experience as a good start point.

720 is the usual PAL DVD resolution width whilst 704 is the usual NTSC DVD resolution width. The larger the resolution the larger the file size. If you stick with the standard DVD width, you usually can't go wrong for devices such as yours, but ifyou were encoding for a smaller handheld device, you would drop the resolution back to what the device can support.

You should see the same on the PC & the TV.

Comment

Thanks for all that. Thank you also for the suggestion (in Best Practice) to rip to HD first. I've been testing with an 8-min clip off DVD and it took 2-min (or longer) for all DVD>Mobile trials. Running off HD shaves a min. And 2-pass was taking 4-min, now takes 2 min. I'm getting a transcoder error; I installed K-Lite Codec Full last night. Reinstalled XviD, that didn't fix. Not sure what the right codec is for AC-3. Cheers!

Comment

Try downloading and installing Ac3 Filter

Comment

THANK YOU! I did that, rebooted, and now some AVI files play. Didn't install AC3 before, so not sure if it was that or just the reboot after installing XviD. More investigation ahead as to what will and what won't play back on my device, and what is the best format (compression/quality). I'll try to post results after some trials for benefit of future readers. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X