This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper win7 crash when unattended

Using lifetime registered 7.0.7.0, ripping any video while I'm sitting here works fine. However, three times in the last 2 days I've walked away to do something else and the machine will crash within 20 minutes. This appears to happen about 15-20 minutes thru a rip, each time, so it isn't the "shut down when done" option, though the Windows logs *do* suggest that something along those lines is occuring. 30 seconds before the crash the application log starts recording RestartManager events, with event IDs 10000, 10005 and 10001, cycling about eight times.

I personally *never* use the "shut down when done" option, and would be thrilled if I could permanently disable this option (and eliminate it from the display entirely).

Something else that's been happening recently is that *sometimes* when I open DVDFab, there's another drop-down menu superimposed onto the format box at the bottom of the DVD to Mobile "Generic" rip window OR the checkboxes to select different videos from the list don't work. That is, I cannot interact with the list at all. I suspect this is some form of a corrupted install. I'm testing a rip again right now (working perfectly while I sit here), and will then remove and reinstall DVDFab.

Hibernation is disabled. Screensaver is set to display after 30min (longer period than the crash). Using two displays, quad AMD, 4gb ram. Also installed and active all the time are Trillian, Synergy+, Roboform, and Outlook. Sometimes other applications too, but these are always on (though I sometimes close Synergy+ when ripping video).

Recent changes to my machine include: addition of a Wacom Bamboo tablet, upgrade of iTunes to 9.2, and the recent Windows Updates from last week (.net stuff). Also note that I have another computer that is exactly the same as this one in every way (except for the tablet), with a licensed copy of DVDFab on it - which has never experienced this problem.

Details you may want, but which are likely unnecessary:
    DVDs (all region 1): Night Court S2D2, Night Court S2D3, Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary.
    Ripping to AVI (h264 + source audio)

I appreciate any help anyone can provide. I did search the forums for similar issues, but didn't find anything even remotely similar. Thanks again!

Well I not think it a DVDFab issue but rather a computer issue. Is this when you are using the DVD to Mobile option as your computer could be overheating causing the shut down

Comment

Have you sat in front of it but not touched anything to see what happens?
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

All I can think is that it *must* be related to the most recent build of DVDFab (7.0.7.0), since I have ripped about 40% of my 1500+ DVD collection over the last six months on this computer - and it wasn't until this week that this started happening. The Wacom tablet is about 2 weeks old, and while the driver/application software portion runs 24/7, the tablet itself isn't plugged in most of the time.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to sit and watch it, 'cause I've got a lot of work that needs to be done, and am simply not the kind of person that can idle for very long at anything anyway. If I do *anything* on my computer, it doesn't crash.

Further, in order to fully test it, I would need to leave all these apps open to be able to get a truly consistent test, and whenever my computer crashes with Outlook open, it takes at least a couple hours to scan and rebuild the PST file - and that's time I just don't have available.

Only a month or so ago, I fully tested the HDD (Spinrite) and RAM (memtest86+) on this machine, and everything was okay.

I ripped 5 more DVDs last night and this morning, and they all went without a hitch - but I was here working while each ripped, too, and the only thing that is truly consistent in this is that it only happens after I've been away at least 15 minutes. I do have three laptops I have to work on today, so I can *try* not touch my computer for a while ripping the Wizard of Oz several more times to see if I can replicate the issue.

Comment

I suggest that you revert to the previous version off Fab to prove your thought.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
          X