X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) problem with "Fixed File Size" option

Hi all

Using v7.0.4.0 to backup some BDs to watch on holiday and I keep running into problems using the "Fixed File Size" option. I choose, say, 4000MB to fit onto a DVD-R and it comes out much more. Equally, if I decide to choose a Fixed Bitrate it's almost impossible to predict how big the file will be. I process a file at 2500kbs and it comes out at say 5.5GB so I pro rata the bit rate down (to 72% of what it was, to make it come out about 4GB) but the file always end up bigger than I thought.

How do you guys get round this?

thanks,
    Simon

Originally posted by SimonS View Post
    Hi all

Using v7.0.4.0 to backup some BDs to watch on holiday and I keep running into problems using the "Fixed File Size" option. I choose, say, 4000MB to fit onto a DVD-R and it comes out much more. Equally, if I decide to choose a Fixed Bitrate it's almost impossible to predict how big the file will be. I process a file at 2500kbs and it comes out at say 5.5GB so I pro rata the bit rate down (to 72% of what it was, to make it come out about 4GB) but the file always end up bigger than I thought.

How do you guys get round this?

thanks,
    Simon
    It seems HD or Lossless sound messing up with you. Do you check "Remove HD Audio"??? What audio format is in your BD???
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I do check the "Remove HD Audio" option. In the example I'm looking at now the audio is "DTS-HD Master/5.1".

I use the "mkv.h264.audiocopy" profile so I can make the resolution 720p.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I do check the "Remove HD Audio" option. In the example I'm looking at now the audio is "DTS-HD Master/5.1".

I use the "mkv.h264.audiocopy" profile so I can make the resolution 720p.
        OK, look at the processed content with MediaInfo (google and install if you don't have this little free utility) and tell me what audio stream do you see there.
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Also, you may be better choosing the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio when available rather that the DTS-HD.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

IPopov50 - I used MediaInfo (it's great). It says "48.0 KHz, 6 channels, DTS (MA)".

GregiBoy - This particular film only has "DTS-HD Master/5.1", thr other tracks are all commentaries. If there was a DD track and I used that would that make the file size issue more accurate?

Comment

No, as far I can figure, the file size calculation is based on the video stream and the audio stream must be added to it.

What I was saying is that the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track takes up far less space than DTS HD.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

IPopov50 - I used MediaInfo (it's great). It says "48.0 KHz, 6 channels, DTS (MA)".
                That's what I thought. I experienced it before with other titles when MLP format (Meridian Lossless Packing) was misidentified by DVDFab as DTS MA. As LPCM, MLP can't be compressed by DVDFab. However, in assumption of DTS MA, DVDFab calculates and factoring in compression, when in fact, compression doesn't take place. As a result, you having oversized file.... I hope it makes sense.

I guess only suggestion I have is to factor it in and select reduced fixed file size. I wouldn't however recommend compression to BD5... In a matter of fact, I do not think it's possible anyway since your audio will use up all space.
                Last edited by IPopov50; 07-19-2010, 09:48 PM. Reason: adding
                sigpic

Comment

I suppose that explains why my calculations have been wrong - if adjusting the file size only takes note of the video and then the audio (which is a fixed size, in this case anyway, since there's only one track) is added on top. Interesting - thanks. Is there any software I can use to see how big the audio stream is? That way I could set my video size safe in the knowledge I have to add XXMB to it for the audio.

Comment

IPopov50 - thanks. So you're saying DTS MA doesn't get compressed by DVDFab? The disk is DTS MA according to BDInfo. "Remove HD Audio" can't compress the DTS MA (or convert to something else which can be compressed)? I don't really understand exactly what the "Remove HD Audio" option does to be honest.

Comment

IPopov50 - thanks. So you're saying DTS MA doesn't get compressed by DVDFab? The disk is DTS MA according to BDInfo. "Remove HD Audio" can't compress the DTS MA (or convert to something else which can be compressed)? I don't really understand exactly what the "Remove HD Audio" option does to be honest.
                      SimonS,
                      DTS MA audio is like a two-layer cake, it have "core" and "overhead". Core is a regular DTS audio as we know with a bitrate around 1510-1536 Kbps, overhead is everything else on a top of it. So, DVDFab isn't "compressing" audio, but removing overhead. That's exactly what "Remove HD Audio" means besides reduction in size of a stream from about 3-4 gig to about 1-1.5 gig for DTS.
                      Also, the way studios mastering their audio makes world of difference, and when they are using lossless formats, thinks are getting more complicated and cause hiccups like yours.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I think that makes sense. Now, I'm going to look at some other disks that I had the same problem with to see if they were also DTS MA!

cheers,
                        Simon

Comment

Working...
                        X