This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD to AVI then edit in Windows Movie Maker

Can anyway give me some guidance on how to use DVDFab to ultimately use the converted DVD file which can be then edited in Windows Movie Maker (wmm).

There's no issue (i think) with converting the dvd to avi.
    Also what are the 2 small extra files (types IDX and sub files) which are created when I've converted the movie. Are they important?

But after converting the DVD to AVI format then importing the video clip file into wmm an error pops up saying;

The file C:\.......\My Documents\My DVD\New Folder (3)\avi\GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL\GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

I've downloaded the appropriate codec and it plays on the windows media player but can't import into wmm. Prior to this I couldn't play the avi file.

Should i convert into another format?
    Is there something wrong with DVDfab as wmm accepts AVI files?

Can someone help? I almost over it. Spend many hrs trying to work it out and i'm not very computer literate but trying.

coen, I've done this with both XviD and DivX avi files, movie maker cuts them up into about 20 second chunks. In WMM click tools then opions then compatability and see if your codec is selected. I use ffdshow for both audio and video and it works a treat!
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Also, the SUB/IDX files contain the subtitles.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks GregiBoy I forgot about that part of the question. If you don't want or need those files, uncheck the subpicture box in DVDFab and they won't be created.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Firstly - thanks guys for the quick reply. Yet I'm still getting the same error messages when importing the avi file (created in dvdfab) into wmm despite ticking the boxes for ffdshow (audio decoder, dxva video decoder and video decoder). Not sure if these correlate to XviD and DivX avi files you guys referred to below.

I've created a wmv file using dvdfab and imported into wmm & all works fine. So am I creating the avi file incorrectly. I'm using a trial version and selecting dvd to mobile - avi. I select the dvd. Don't change anything else. The profile says generic avi.divx.audiocopy. From there i just press start. Much the same process as I did for the wmv file but the end result is unsuccessful in wmm.

If you can help I'd be grateful. Regardless i'm thankful for assistance to date. This is customer service utopia.

Comment

That is the same way I created the avi. I'll include a picture of how mine is configured, and works, for you. Mine is an XP machine but I have Win7 if that is your OS.
            Attached Files

Albert Einstein

Comment

Yep I'm using XP home edition. Yep thats much the same as me yet I've heaps of other codecs (see attached). I've also attached a screenshot of the set for DVDfab, AVIcodec analysis of the file and wmm compatability. So the problem still remains.
              Any ideas??
              Should I delete from the wmm compatability list all but the ffdshow codec???
              Again thanks for your help.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yep uncheck everything except one audio and one video decoder.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Great. This finally worked. Thanks so much for your time.

Comment

Working...
                  X