Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resolution - Im thick and dont understand...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Resolution - Im thick and dont understand...

Hi All,

Please forgive me, im struggling to find anything that can make this simply understood for an Idjiot like me.

Im currently ripping all my DVD's into ISO files for backup purposes - and am almost done, and have 4TB of ISO's that im going to start converting into "mobile format" for streaming to my PS3.

Most ISO's are showing a Original Frame resolution of 1024x576, and DVD Fab wants to reduce this to 720x406.

As i dont understand how this works - will this effect the quality? Im looking to try to keep the mobile versions less than 2gb a film but with as good an audio and picture as possible. That way i can also DLNA them to my sons Xbox.

So then that makes two questions......

1.Whats all this malarkey with the resolution - or as its all SD stuff, shoulndt i worry about it....
    2.Best format to take the ISO into that will play on Xbox and PS3 while keeping the file size below 2gb, and giving good audio and picture.... (for DLNA storage on a 500gb Drive attached to network)

Answers.....

1. Forget the malarkey. All DVD's are composed at approx 7XX x XXx resolution depending on the region and aspect ratio.

2. Ditch the PS3/Xbox scenario and get yourself decent media players that will play MKV's.... Less than 100 bux... And no trouble with conversions...
    Last edited by GregiBoy; 08-01-2010, 11:19 AM.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

PS: Also, have a read of my "DVD to Mobile: Best Practice" thread...

And for DNLA, have a serious look at Twonky....
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hiya,

Thanks for that.

I have just ordered a PlayOn HD! Mini for the TV. I'll MKV everything to 700 by whatever it was at 2000 bit rate? With audio passthrough....

Does that sound ok?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X