This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper High quality encoding vs. Low

Hi i have failed to find info about 1-2pass encoding in the forum, but only found some comments that hints at, I waste time with 2-pass

i usualy make dvd->mkv at 2000 bitrate with 2-pass and 720x pixels.

I have tried compare a few but is there a rule to when to use 1 or 2. I know 2-pass I "required" at very low bitrates will i get anything out of it at 2000 bitrate (notice i will spend the time even for a small benefit of quality, because when i have my system up and running they will run on a "large" TV)

I personally feel that 2 pass gives slightly better results and I always use it when I make my MKV's.

I use slower bitrates than you though. I generally use 1400 for most titles but will bump it up to 1800 for fast action titles.

Do a test on one of your favourite titles that you will be able to pick the difference on and see how you rate the time spent vs the quality especially testing on your big TV. My TV is a 52" Samsung which I view from 16 feet.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by benny_tllh View Post
      Hi i have failed to find info about 1-2pass encoding in the forum, but only found some comments that hints at, I waste time with 2-pass

i usualy make dvd->mkv at 2000 bitrate with 2-pass and 720x pixels.

I have tried compare a few but is there a rule to when to use 1 or 2. I know 2-pass I "required" at very low bitrates will i get anything out of it at 2000 bitrate (notice i will spend the time even for a small benefit of quality, because when i have my system up and running they will run on a "large" TV)
      My projection screen is 15' (yes feet) and I usually encode between 2500 and 3500 bitrate (depending on the quality of the source/age of the movie) to 854x480.

On other's advice, I've been using 2-pass when encoding DVD-MKV.

But, I encoded Romancing The Stone (not a great quality original to begin with) last week accidentally using 1-pass.

I was underwhelmed by the pixelation occurring on playback (particularly in scenes with large portions of sky or a common colour).

The best/worst example: At the start of the second-last chapter, Kathleen Turner is standing stage right of a large window...the pixelation of the sky (and the jaggie outline around her profile) was almost unwatchable.

I re-encoded at 2-pass and it cleaned up that shot (and others) quite a bit.

After that I was convinced.

If you want to try a test for yourself, find a movie in your collection (that you've already encoded at 2-pass) that also has a slow-pan of the sky in the first 5-10 minutes. Then encode using "spit-by-chapter" with one-pass and cancel after the first chapter is done (assuming the first chapter has that shot). Then compare the two files for differences.

Using the split-by-chapter will prevent having to encode the entire movie a second time before you can do the comparison.

Hope that helps.

-Wapitikev
      When breaking digital locks becomes outlawed, only outlaws will break digital locks...and watch movies in whatever format they want to, without annoying adverts and messages, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        I personally feel that 2 pass gives slightly better results and I always use it when I make my MKV's.

I use slower bitrates than you though. I generally use 1400 for most titles but will bump it up to 1800 for fast action titles.

Do a test on one of your favourite titles that you will be able to pick the difference on and see how you rate the time spent vs the quality especially testing on your big TV. My TV is a 52" Samsung which I view from 16 feet.
        GregiBoy...newbie-question: is there a setting I can make in the profiles that will force 2-pass (is there an existing tutorial on profile moding)?

-Wapitikev
        When breaking digital locks becomes outlawed, only outlaws will break digital locks...and watch movies in whatever format they want to, without annoying adverts and messages, etc.

Comment

Hi Kev.\,

This parameter will do it in the profile

<mode value="high_quality" list="real_time, high_quality" />

There is documentation on parameters in the the Profiles\Readme directory.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Ps..

kev, you don't need to use all that cancel B/S.

Just use the "Title Start/End" button to select the chapter(s) that you want.

Also, have a look at the "New Profiles" thread where I have posted E6SD, E8SD & Sansung profiles. These are variations on the normal profile that have worked for me and require very little dicking around with the settings to transcode.

It is quite a learning curve that you are on and I still have some problems after #@%ing years at it.

For example, if I modify a profile to give me the favourite sizes that I want, the ability to render subtitle internally or externally is disabled.

I use a variety of tools to produce the MKV's in the format that I want which is:-

All Dolby and DTS Audio tracks held within the MKV file and correctly identified by language/encoding.
            A selection of subtitles held within the MKV file in SUB/IDX format so they are displayed as the production company intended.
            All chapters held within the MKV file, preferably with the English Name of the chapter associated.
            Cover Art contained within the MKV file.
            The MKV file tagged with the minimum of Date of Release, Director and Starring Artist.

This level of detail is a bit anal retentive but what the hell?

Comment

Working...
            X