X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Dull Sounding Audio

Hi All,

Me again, sorry for another probably stupid question.

I have settled finally on h264 Mp4 with 5.1 audio at ether 256 or 128kbs audio

Film quality's amazing - but the sound just doesnt seem right, seems to have lost its clarity. Definatley sounds duller and a bit odd.

Anyone know what that could be?

Thanks

Well 128 kbps is like mp3 quality, but it still shouldn't sound that bad.
    SPECS
    DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
    SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Why don't you use an audiocopy profile and then you maintain the original audio?
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by Racem22 View Post
        Well 128 kbps is like mp3 quality, but it still shouldn't sound that bad.
        128 kbps is actually low end mp3...256 & 320 kbps is ideal.

but you're right, it shouldn't sound that bad. Anything lower I would be worried.

But as gregi mentioned, the OP should use original audio...transcoding is bound to suffer some quality loss.

Comment

Thanks for that, I'll see if a profile with audio passthrough works on the ps3.

I have the video quality spot on, just want the audio perfect as well. Guess what the wife keeps saying...?

Why don't you just play the DVD???

Ta!

Comment

Hello - Me again....Intent on trying my best to not do things properly

Right, just converted to AVI h264 with Source audio - and it shows up on the PS3 as "unsupported data"

Im not doing very well am i? Anyway, file size is 3.8gb, bit rate was around 3700 and audio was set to source.....Any ideas before i do what the wife suggested and go back to watching the DVDs?

Ta!

Comment

Point #1. Wife's comments: You can always trade her in for a new model but from my own experience, it can be costly but as satisfying as anything.

Point #2. Once you get it right and she can choose from hundreds of movies from the press of a remote button, the criticism suddenly turns into praise and the sex gets better.

Point #3. There are limitatns on what the crap game consoles will not allow as streamed content as their pathetic attempt at copy protection. Don't forget that Sony is a major movie/production company.

I'd try to choose the Dolby 5.1 audio track for a start but pehaps my esteemed colleagues with a PS3 have better suggesstions.

On another note, my honest suggestion is to give the game console route a miss and spend a hundred bux on a PROPER medai player that will play the content correctly.

My good friend & colleague, Maineman, has posted quite a lot about a little player that he has purchased. Check that out.

Tell "She That Must Be Obeyed" that the hundred bux is essential for your personal development and wellbeing to ultimately save money and add convenience to your liestyle !!!!
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hiya,

Thanks for those suggestions

I hate to say it though, Mrs Wifey is brilliant, i know when im better off ;-0

I already have a PlayOn HD Mini which is on the main TV and that plays anything i can throw at it, but its the PS3 thats attached to the 2nd TV thats proving to be a pain encoding for.

You might be right, i may just buy another play on Mini!!! solves all my problems and i can put everything into Mkv!

Thanks again

Comment

Ok,

one last question i promise ;-)

Mp4, is it possible to have source audio in that container or something higher than 128kbps?

All i get on my drop down is upto a max of 128kbps...and i want source audio....

I know, i know, PS3 as a media player is rubbish.....But one last try eh?

Ta!

Comment

You can produce such a file but you will have to modify a profile specifically for it.

Will the PS3 not play a standard AVI file?

If it will, why not use the existing generic.avi. h264.audiocopy profile or you could use my "Samsung" profel that has been posted in the "New profiles" and this will give you exactly what you want.

I'd even try renaming such a file as MP4 if the PS3 will not play AVI's

Comment

the PS3 will not play Dts audio directly from a file.

Have you tried streaming through your PS3 from the PC using programs such as Tversity, PS3 Media Server etc?

As what Gregiboy said...a seperate media streamer works better. I use the WDTV HD Live with no issues.

Comment

Again, Thanks :-)

This is my last, last, last question i promise......

I have been ripping my DVD's to ISO main movie with the 5.1 sound and have now decided to convert them to MKV audio copy for use with a standaline media player, im presuming that if i take that to a place that just has a TV and no AV amp, it will downmix to stereo?

Just having a panic attack that after ripping all my DVDs with 5.1 audio only - i'll have to go back and do them all again.....

\panic\panic\

Comment

Most good players will have a "Downmix" to stereo setting for this scenario.

Comment

Working...
                          X