This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to MOBILE OPTIONS??

I have WIDESCREEN Tv's & get WIDESCREEN DVD's.

What is the best options I should setup DVDFAB for to get the best AUDIO/RESOLUTION I can get, but still keep the file(any file) to around 1.0-2.0gig file sizes? And should I be setting the resolution to the top choice?

I would like to not have Audio SYNC issues if at all possible, not sure if the different file types avi,mpeg,mov,xvid/divx,ect offer better or worst senerios..

video bitrate,audio bitrate, fps, just looking to find whats the best, and if im setting these too high, will that make the output not as good also..

these files will be played from a network server to a media center (converted xboxes for now)..

Any and all help would be appreciated..

I would start with the following and fine tune it from there:-

Profile: generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy
    Video Bitrate: 1100
    Audio is passthrough
    FPS: same as source
    Resolution: 720 x XXX (PAL), 720 x XXX (NTSC) the XXX depends on what aspect ratio the movie was composed at.

If you are setting too high, playback & quality will suffer.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

i have for years used xvid+mp3, and always set to the highest resolution (video bt > 1024, audio =256), and it never was great, and 50/50 on audio sync issues. Do you think the specs you gave will be better or about the same with what i have been using?

Comment

For a start make sure that you are using the latest beta version as there are always improvements being made.

These are the specs that I use to encode my DVD's that I stream to a variety of players throughout the house and I have no A/V sync problems whatsoever.

I always retain the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack as I always want that available and on the players that are not connected to an A/V amp, I set them to "DOWNMIX" 5.1 to stereo.

I have just checked the 7 that I had queued up last night and all is good.

If you set the resolution at anything over 720 or 704 width, you are asking the software to interpolate data that is not there and this usually results in less than ordinary results. The 720 or 704 widths are what DVD's are actually composed at.

Please have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread in the Knowledgebase area of the forum also qas this may give you some hints and tips on the best way to do it.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

90% of the time the resolution offered (@720 level) is like (704x296) then the next one up is like (736x329); just examples.. So your saying to always look for 720x???, but never select any number over 720, even though it will most of the time be below 720. Is that correct?

I am presently burning a movie at your specs now to check it out... Also I never thought about my media center set ups on audio?? I have no special Audio-system on any tv, so i never set anything up special, yet Ive never had a audio problem in years except that 50% of my AVI movies sync gets out of wack around the last 30-45 mins of the movie (usually a loud spark/skreech noise); then the audio is off by 1-2 secs and gets worst until the movie is over with. And this is also verified on the server holding the movies. (I have a dedicated dual-AMD computer who's only purpose is to burn the movies and hold the movies for the media centers to connect too.) I figured the audio/sync issues (which have seemed to be getting more common) was due to new encryption issues getting worst. Also, when ever we get movies, before i convert i do always look for new updates(not usually the beta ones, unless the movie has burning issues)..

Comment

I said maximum of 720 for PAL DVD's and 704 for NTSC DVD's!!!

The audio synch problem could be caused by the layer break and normally occurs if you rip direct from the DVD. Always rip the DVD to hard disk first before conversion and this will not happen.

As I said, read my best practice thread !!!

Comment

GOTCHA, missed that.

Will read it now..

Thank you for your help.

BTW, should I copy dvd to HD as (FULL DVD or just MAIN MOVIE); as i only want the main movie??? or does it matter..

thanks again,,

Comment

I normally do "Full Disc" as I sometimes want the extras eg: "The Making of Bladerunner" and disk space is cheap but the choice is yours.

Comment

Working...
                X