This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) No video after using deinterlace

I did a quick search of the past threads but couldn't find suggestions on deinterlacing Blu-disc (a few on DVD-ripper).

Here in the Great White North, a 3-disc set of the Scream movies was recently released. Cheesy? Perhaps, but it was only $30 for the three disc set and, for the better quality video, that is in my price range.

Unfortunately, it turns out that they are all 1080i (not 1080p as are virtually all other Blu-disc films), so I traded a clearer picture for jaggies when objects move fast.

I can successfully create an MKV when encoding from a broken copy on my hard drive if I do NOT choose deinterlace. However, if I choose deinterlace I get no picture...sound plays fine, though.

Now, you may ask yourself "No picture on the Scream movies? Where's the problem?"

This behavior occurs on both 8.0.0.5 and on 7.0.7.0 (which I still have on that PC).

I have a RADEON HD 5670 that has the DXVA...I am, at this very moment, (painfully) waiting for an encode to finish using "software only".

If that doesn't work, any other suggestions on getting the deinterlace to work would be appreciated.

I can post hardware and logs, but this is the first disc on this rig to have no video after successfully encoding dozens of DVDs (even some deinterlace jobs) and dozens of Blu-discs without any problems.

I would have used more smilies but I'm limited to 4...heh.

-Wapitikev
    When breaking digital locks becomes outlawed, only outlaws will break digital locks...and watch movies in whatever format they want to, without annoying adverts and messages, etc.

Originally posted by wapitikev View Post
    I did a quick search of the past threads but couldn't find suggestions on deinterlacing Blu-disc (a few on DVD-ripper).
    Right, because there's no such thing as interlaced BD

Here in the Great White North, a 3-disc set of the Scream movies was recently released. Cheesy?
    Rather odd.... and yes, cheesy

Unfortunately, it turns out that they are all 1080i (not 1080p as are virtually all other Blu-disc films), so I traded a clearer picture for jaggies when objects move fast.
    I'm not sure what are you talking about... most likely misperception

I can successfully create an MKV when encoding from a broken???? copy on my hard drive if I do NOT choose deinterlace. However, if I choose deinterlace I get no picture...sound plays fine, though.
    What do you mean by broken???
    Anyway, now we're getting to the point. Yes, if you search for 1080i or 720i or any other "i" interlaced will come up first, and it would of being correct in your case, if you would have recorded content directly from TV broadcast. Your conten is a "mastered" content with half-fields being interleaved (or merged) into normal size frame with standard framerate (i.e. from 50 fps half-frame rate to a 25 fps in full frame). BTW, if you try this content with DVDFab v6 or early 7, it will come back to you with message stated that DVDFab can not hanle interleaved content for now. In late 7 betas and v8 support for interleaved content were added to DVDFab.

So, you are not dealing with interlaced content, but rather ex-interlaced... if it make sense... And, as a result, you have what you have.
    I want to add, that no matter what software studios use for interleaving, they will never be able to produce "true" progressive content. Besides, considering behavior you have experienced, that was very poorely mastered copy.

Now, you may ask yourself "No picture on the Scream movies? Where's the problem?"
    Yea, really

... but this is the first disc on this rig to have no video after successfully encoding dozens of DVDs (even some deinterlace jobs) and dozens of Blu-discs without any problems.
    DVD is a different story...
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

By "broken" I mean "previously ripped to hard disk with all protection disabled". Broken is shorter to type.

So the 1080i on the back of the Blu-disc case means interleaved and not interlaced?

Ok, then. I'll Wikipedia the difference for a full/better understanding.

Back to the "no video after checking Deinterlacing" problem.

8.0.0.5 just finished encoding Scream with the "Deinterlacing" option chosen and with the DXVA disabled.

...and there is picture AND sound!

Unfortunately there is still a fair bit of blur on moving objects, but it is no where near as bad as on the version that I encoded without the "Deinterlacing" chosen.

So the problem appears to have been the DXVA.

Question: if there is no such thing as "interlaced BD" why does the "Deinterlace" option appear on the BD Conversion Settings dialogue window?

-Wapitikev
      Last edited by wapitikev; 08-29-2010, 10:32 PM.
      When breaking digital locks becomes outlawed, only outlaws will break digital locks...and watch movies in whatever format they want to, without annoying adverts and messages, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by wapitikev View Post
        So the 1080i on the back of the case means interleaved and not interlaced?
        By all standards "i" means interlaced. However, when content mastered for media, it goes through process of interleaving, merge of half-frames.

8.0.0.5 just finished encoding Scream with the "Deinterlacing" option chosen and with the DXVA disabled.

...and there is picture AND sound!
        Great!!!! That proves that "software" codec can handle interleaved content better than DXVA.

Unfortunately there is still a fair bit of blur on moving objects, but it is no where near as bad as on the version that I encoded without the "Deinterlacing" chosen.
        Experiment and try...do and redo... welcome to world of videomaniac

So the problem appears to have been the DXVA.
        Yep, you've got it right.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
        X