Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper incorrect resolution for pal anamorphic dvd and can't override aspect ratio

8.0.0.5 ripping from monsters inc r4 pal.
    The source material is 720x576 (media info below)
    - however in the video effects settings area, it states the content is 1024x576 (with the source aspect 16:9 ratio that it defaults to and auto crop)
    If I swap the source as 4:3, then it says 720x532
    Disabling cropping gives me 720x540
    forcing 720x576 just gives me black bars top and bottom (regardless of cropping setting)
    There are times I'd prefer just to work with the original image (why scale this to 1024x576 then re-scale it back down later?)
    Is there another setting I missed?
    Jen

PS - ignore the override aspect ratio issue - that was user error (doh

The source dvd (title 18) - media info:
    General
    Complete name : E:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_09_0.IFO
    Format : DVD Video
    Format profile : Program
    File size : 94.0 KiB

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL

Audio #1
    ID : 128 (0x80)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Language : English

Audio #2
    ID : 137 (0x89)
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems

Audio #3
    ID : 130 (0x82)
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Language, more info : Director's comments

Audio #4
    ID : 131 (0x83)

Text #1
    ID : 32 (0x20)
    Format : RLE
    Format/Info : Run-length encoding
    Bit depth : 2 bits

Text #2
    ID : 33 (0x21)
    Language, more info : Normal

Text #3
    ID : 34 (0x22)
    Language : Swedish

Text #4
    ID : 35 (0x23)
    Language : Norwegian

Text #5
    ID : 36 (0x24)
    Language : Danish

Text #6
    ID : 37 (0x25)
    Language : Finnish

Menu #1
    List (Audio) : 0 / 1 / 2 / 3
    List (Subtitles 4/3) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
    List (Subtitles Wide) : 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
    List (Subtitles Letterbox) : 0 / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
    List (Subtitles Pan&Scan) : 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Last edited by iffer; 08-31-2010, 11:48 PM.

You said region 4 what country is that as DVDs are sometimes different for countries that have same region code. Like I'm in Canada and region 1 and the States is as well region 1 but DVDs released in each country sometimes have different copy protection on them thus causing different problems

Comment

Jen (iffer) is also from Oz.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I also have been reporting this particular problem to Fengtao/Ting for literally years but have, as usual, been muzzled!!!
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          Jen (iffer) is also from Oz.
          Ok, thanks for the refresher as I think that was mentioned in another thread on another day.

@iffer

Have you tired using the Video Effect Settings in the edit section for the Ripper to select the desired Settings

Comment

Hi - yes I'm in Australia and that was the Australian Region 4 version of monsters Inc I've been using for these tests.
            - all the resolution setting, forcing, aspect ratio stuff is from the video effects section

If I let it match the source resolution it produces files that are 1024x720 (media info for that was given in another thread - I can attach it here if you like since I'm trying to use the same base for all the tests (aid in reproducing issues))
            btw - to get it to match source vertical resolution I go into edit, video effects, and in the information panel it lists the "original frame resolution" as 1024x576 (it has read the 16:9 ratio flag or just a lucky default). So I added that as the desired output resolution and got a correctly scaled (though no longer anamorphic) video file.
            As you can see in the media info at the start of this thread, the dvd is actually 720x576. But because its read the 16:9 flag (I'm guessing), there isn't any way to process this as a 4:3 video, retaining the anamorphic scaling.
            (trying to force 4:3 loses vertical rows for some reason, and/or adds padding bars top and bottom. playing with the crop disable/auto still doesn'g let me get 576 rows)

Sometimes I'd like to do it your way (flatten the scaling so I get the correct ratio native resolution video) and other times I'd prefer to preserve the anamorphic/keep the original pixel structure and let my display device do the scaling to best match to capabilities.
            (for example my projector has a very capable scaler and aspect ratio management system. One day I'd like to have the optical anamorphic lens converter... one day
            But for stuff encoded for my phone - pre-scaling the image is the way to go.

I'm not sure how I can provide a sample of source video without violating copyrights - but open to suggestions any way I can help!
            Jennifer
            From lovely Perth, Western Australia

Comment

I'll send a note off to a developer with link to this thread so they can reply what is needed as I not really sure

Comment

That's great - thank you. I'm doing the samples and stuff just for testing (I don't have a current need to convert this video, but love dvdfab and would like to help get all the bits working)

I'm not currently licenced for the mobile option, so at some point my ability will help may be curtailed - but I have 3 more systems here I guess I can install fab onto for extended trials
                (I don't see any point in licencing it when it doesn't actually seem to work properly/consistently for converting files - and I have other re-coding tools - just a hassle to have to keep swapping programs.)

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                X