Choppy MP4 - all DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Choppy MP4 - all DVDs

Just upgraded from 7.x to 8.0.0.5. I rip a DVD (any DVD) and play back on either my AppleTV or Laptop and the playback is choppy. I installed 8.0.0.9 thinking the problem was just the 8.0.0.5 and same result. Any ideas? Anybody else having this problem? This was never an issue using 7.x

Yes, I've had this problem (particularly with files for the Apple TV).

Would you please post the details, as described in the stickies.

For myself, however, I am curious as to what settings you are using to encode for the Apple TV.

Thanks.

Comment

I've had the same problem, I tried .avi file to mp4, mpeg-4, & iPad options. All have same result, choppy playback on vista pc or iPad. Tried Nero8, quicktime, & iPad. all choppy playback. Please fix this issue DVDFab!! I love this software and don't want to buy another ipad converter software just for my Ipad.

Comment

I am also trying to make MP4s using the Apply TV and generic profiles in version 8.0.0.5, and the output is choppy. However, the audio seems to be in sync.

Comment

Same issue, choppy playback. Ripped the DVD to MPEG-4 for playback from my Windows Home Server to PS3 and noticed the choppy playback. Considered it was the wireless connection so went to wired lan with the same result. This happened both with PS3 and PS3 VOB PlayThru. Ripped to MPEG4 on the local PC for local playback with the same choppy result. Tried the generic MPEG4 with the same result.
          Intent is to rip all main movies to MPEG4 and drop on WHS where I can manage the titles and make them accessible to the kids without destroying the DVD's using playback through PC or PS3's. I have terrabytes of free space so storage isnt really a consideration.
          Thoughts on choppy playback resolution?

Comment

Choppy video

Same issue. Everything was fine till I upgraded from 7 to 8. Hope someone finds an answer to this.

Comment

Same problem here. DVDFab ran fine until I upgraded from 7 to 8. Since then, everything has converted with terrrible quality. Videos are choppy, conversion time is slow, voices are off, and the picture isn't as clear as it was. I did notice in my Programs folder that I have both 7 and 8 still installed. I'm not sure if this is what's causing the problem, but since 7 still works fine for me, I'm not inclined to uninstall it to see if it solves this issue with version 8.
              Last edited by kremesch; 09-12-2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Tried Beta... Not any better

I sent an email to support and was provided a link to a beta version. Converted DVD's again but playback is still very choppy on wired PS3 connection, less choppy with playback on PC but still not good quality.

-Charles

Comment

Yes same result 7.x was ok for DVD (not so good to BluRay) but 8.x has messed up the DVD ripping engine (better BluRay to H264 though).

Wish the quality control was a bit better at times...
                  Windows 7 x64, 4GB RAM, Intel i7-860, ATI HD 4550 Drivers Catalyst 11.3

Comment

I have always had some problems with choppiness/jerkiness on moving scenes. The images from the DVD player are always superior. Smoother. I typically encode using about .3 bits/pixel. Doubling this value does not seem to help much. I use XBMC to play on a 50" screen. I am using DVDFab 7 (8 locked up on me).

I know there are a number of factors that contribute to the quality, and I have tried tweaking a number of things, but I have yet to come up with a good solution. The jerkiness drives me nuts. Any hints?

My cpu is a core2 duo 3Ghz. Graphics is a GeForce 9500 GT.

Using the new XBMC hardware acceleration seems to help some.

Comment

Charlesstiles,
                      I just did The Wolfman 2010 for the PS3 and am watching now with my granddaughter. I can’t tell that it is not the DVD. I did it @ 3000 bit rate, a single pass and down mixed the audio to stereo. I am playing it from a USB thumb drive, streaming to the PS3 is asking for problems in my humble opinion, it just doesn’t do streaming well and I’ve given up trying. That said I think there must be a problem with V8 and some system configurations there are too many people having these problems and some of us don’t. As far as I’m concerned 8.0.1.1 is the best version yet!
                      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Streaming

I wouldn't normally push to stream the video but since WHS has it built in for auto discovery by PS3 it makes for a seamless way to keep my audio and video collection in one place while being able to enjoy it anywhere. I just wish I could get the video to stream better.
                        The video BTW, with the beta version did play remarkably better on PC than the inital version 8 I was using. I suppose I'll give up on trying to move my videos to central storage until I can find a way to retrieve them easily. I do like the idea of the thumb drive though... Hmmmm

-Charles

Comment

Just make a "VIDEO" folder on the thumb drive and put the mp4 in it. Be mindful of the 4GB file size limitation of FAT32 and you're all set. I keep all the mp4s on the computer or on the internal hard drive of the PS3. You can change the hard drive in the PS3 easily and put a big one in pretty cheaply and store the movies on board.
                          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Just add my voice to the choppiness issue with MP4 too, both from Blu-Ray and DVD. Audio all in Sync and otherwise looks great. Absolutely no issue from previous versions of DVD Fab before 8.x on DVD.

Oddly, I did a series (Extras Seaon 2) the other day. The first file converted had the choppiness issue, the remaining 5 episodes (off the same DVD didn't). Was in a rush for a plane so can't test theory just yet but seemed as if DVD Fab sorted itself out after doing one file. Very odd.

Comment

+ 1 on 8.0.0.5 (didn't try the beta as there was nothing on the notes related to this issue)

I tried the default PS3 profile (with no setting changes) in Both 8.0.0.5 and 7.0.9.3 and here are the results.

One key point... 7.0.9.3 detected Film (23.976) where 8.0.0.5 detected 29.97. If I manually select 23.976 8.0.0.5 works properly, so it looks like a frame-rate detection issue.

Here's a link to 8.0.0.5 (<3 min clip of LOTR -- just the intro) shows the jitter / chop.

Here's the same clip encoded with 7.0.9.3 (correct)

FYI: I do not believe I am breaking any rules by posting this content; however, please remove the links if there are any concerns / issues.

------------------

Quick Follow-up: I tried creating my own profile and setting the FPS in the profile with the below, but it didn't work.
                              <outfps mode="3" value="23.976" list="23.976,24,25,29.97,30" />

it did work when I set it this way
                              <outfps mode="3" value="23.976" list="23.976" />

FYI: mode="2" didn't work either.

The issue may be related to the XML parsing of outfps.

------------
                              Follow-up #2

I uninstalled 7.0.9.3 and the issue returned in 8.0.0.5 even using <outfps mode="3" value="23.976" list="23.976" />. Reinstalled 7.0.9.3 and it was inconsistent...

I'm sticking with 7.0.9.3 for now (available @ http://www.oldapps.com/dvdfab.php)
                              Last edited by wallacebw; 09-20-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X