Audio .raw format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Audio .raw format

I've just used DVD Ripper to extract the audio from a music DVD. It gets saved in the .raw format.

Having read about this format at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_audio_format it appears it does not store the information of what sampling rate etc it's stored in. When trying to import it using Audacity it asks for the specifications of the audio as follows:

Type (Signed 16bit PCM, 32bit float, A-law, Microsoft ADPCM, 24bit DWVW etc)
    Endian (No, little, big, default)
    Channels (1=mono,2=stereo,3,4....16)
    Start offset (x bytes) eg 0 bytes
    Amount to import (x %) eg 100%
    Sample Rate (x Hz) eg 44100Hz

What format does DVD Ripper store this audio in?

***UPDATE*** I found that it saves as .raw when using the audio.copy profile. Using the audio.mp3 profile it can rip directly MP3 with whatever settings I want, and also that audio.wav to save as uncompressed WAV. I'd still be curious to know about the .raw format and how it differs, if at all, in quality to WAV.
    Last edited by jibbler; 09-13-2010, 11:28 PM. Reason: providing update

Click link below for info on raw format

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Yes but....

Google was the first port of call before posting this query. All Google says is that to be able to open a RAW file you must know it's parameters as these are not stored in the header of the file itself.

Therefore, to be able to open the file you must know what parameters were used to create the file. What created the file? DVDFab. So the question was what parameters does DVDFab use to create the RAW files? Does it use 44100Hz, 16bit PCM, stereo, big-endian? Or does it use 48000Hz, 24bit DWVW, mono, little-endian? Or something else?

Comment

Raw audio is pure audio data which is uncompressed pcm Which is found in one of the links from the google search, below is a quote with more that was said

Raw audio usually means pure audio data (uncompressed pcm), and the file contains no information about the sample rate, sample length (8/16 bit), byte endianness etc. Therefore, a player cannot play the raw audio correctly unless these parameters are defined. Wav file on the other hand contains all the relevant information in its header part.
        So from what I understand from that is that there is no way to know what parameters was used to create it

Comment

DVDFab created the file. It must know what parameters it used to create the file. Once these parameters are known then the file can be played. Does anyone who created DVDFab look at these forums? Whoever created it must know these parameters.

Comment

Change file extension to .wav and you will get all you want.
            sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
            X