Copy DVD to MKV without compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Copy DVD to MKV without compression

Trying to copy a DVD to MKV without compression, I want the full quality since disk space is cheap. However, the file produced is less than 1 GB, so it has obviously been compressed as the DVD is 6GB.

Am I missing some option here?

I think you want VOB Passthrough, no compression at all and it doesn't change the audio. It just makes one file out of the movie. If your device will play them.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Cheers. I'll give that a try.

I have a WD HDTV, it plays MKV's. To be honest, I just want to convert all my DVD's, and eventually Blu-Rays, to some format and stick them all on a HDD, eventually a NAS. MKV seems to be the recommended route.

Comment

I don’t have one of those so I can’t say for sure but can’t imagine that it would not play a .VOB file? Let me know.
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Yep, it will play VOB's, I just wanted to convert to a single file.

Comment

Yeah, MKV is probably the way to go, but not if the resultant files are inferior.
            I don't have a WD, but an Argosy. I've had a few issues with BD ---> .MKV files, but for the most part the problem has been subtitles, which I can get around with 3rd party software.

I've had great success with .ISO though, so if supported by WD, you might want to consider .ISO for a container.
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
            X