Convert to MKV removing HD audio without checkbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Convert to MKV removing HD audio without checkbox

I just downloaded a trial copy of DVDFab 8.0.0.5. I am using the Blu-ray to MKV function.

First Blu-ray I tried was Spiderman 3. It has True HD audio, and indeed BD Ripper recognized the audio as True HD. I selected the main movie video, and the True HD audio (sometimes the little blue triangle/carrot next to the primary audio disappears when I click on the line, and then reappears after I click again). I definitely had "Remove HD Audio" unchecked, because I wanted to rip lossless HD audio. I used the remux.mkv profile and passthru encoding. But the resulting MKV file did not have HD Audio. MediaInfo says it is just AC-3:

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Duration : 2h 19mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 640 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 637 MiB (2%)

Next Blu-ray I tried was Chloe, which has DTS-HD audio. I set it up the same as before, and BD ripper correctly identified the audio track as DTS-HD. This time I clicked on "Remove HD Audio" to see the check, then I clicked it again to remove the check. Definitely not checked. Then I started the conversion. But once again, the HD audio track was not present in the MKV file. MediaInfo says it is just DTS:

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Format profile : MA
    Codec ID : A_DTS
    Duration : 1h 36mn
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Language : English

So, what is going on here? Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a bug in BD Ripper 8.0.0.5 that causes it to always remove HD audio, even if the box is not checked?

Same here

I am having the same issue. I have the full registered version, not the trial, and it is doing the same thing to me, but only with certain discs. About half of my blu-ray discs I get the audio and half I don't. I am a little pissed about it because DVDFab wasn't exactly cheap, and it seems to only work on about 50% of my library. I'd love to fix the problem. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

I get some movies play and some will not getting can not play this file with my lg player. I would love to keep the hd audio as well. I just waste alot of time doing this and wish they could test these things properly before releasing them for the amount of money we pay.

Comment

After some more investigation, I have found that BD Ripper cannot seem to copy the Dolby TrueHD audio tracks. I tried 3 different TrueHD movies, and on all of them, BD Ripper failed to create a TrueHD audio track, even though it identified the track as being TrueHD, and I clicked it, and I did NOT check the "Remove HD audio" box. Instead, there was only an AC3 track, and the HD Audio light on my receiver did NOT light up when playing the MKV files.

Interestingly, BD Ripper does copy DTS-HD tracks properly. Even though MediaInfo does not identify the audio track in the MKV file as "DTS-HD", I have found that the MKV file from BD Ripper does indeed have the DTS-HD track on it -- when I play it with MPC-HC (ffdshow set for passthru for all audio types), my receiver lights up the HD audio light and identifies the sound as DTS HD.

I also tried ripping some TrueHD blu-rays (Spiderman 3, Batman Begins) to MKV with AnyDVD HD combined with Another EAC3to GUI. That combination correctly ripped the TrueHD audio track without difficulty. MediaInfo lists the audio track as TrueHD, and the HD Audio light on my receiver lights up when I play the MKV file.

So, bottom line is that my HTPC system is functioning correctly, but BD Ripper has a bug that it does not properly copy any Dolby TrueHD audio tracks to MKV files.

By the way, how often do the developers check these forums? When can I expect a response on this issue?
        Last edited by joe42; 09-25-2010, 08:53 AM.

Comment

hi,

For DTS-HD audio, and mkv output, if you uncheck "Remove HD Audio", DVDFab will keep the DTS-HD stream.

For True-HD, current not copy this stream to MKV, which is because some player maybe not support True-HD, so temporary output AC3 stream, and I will try to add this feature in the future version.

thanks

Comment

it won't keep the dts hd. It will only keep the dts and thats only what u get.

Comment

Not doing TrueHD is a bug, not a feature. You can always check TrueHD and an AC3 track if the player is a problem. But I've not seen a player that supports DTS-HD but not TrueHD.

As for whether DVDFab blu-ray ripper can do DTS-HD, I have done it with 8.0.0.5. At first I thought it was not DTS-HD, since the default display for MediaInfo does not say it is DTS-HD, but only DTS MA. But when I play it on my receiver, the HD audio light is illuminated. So it is definitely DTS-HD.

But definitely a bug for TrueHD. I wonder how long it will take to fix the TrueHD bug in DVDFab blu-ray ripper MKV conversion. If my trial runs out before the bug is fixed, I will not be buying DVDFab. I will probably buy [something else] instead. I cannot believe they have this TrueHD bug in DVDFab for so long without fixing it. Now we can see how fast they are to fix the bug.
              Last edited by Complication; 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM. Reason: removed non-allowed software references

Comment

Has this been fixed? I'm considering buying DVDFab Blue Ray Ripper.

Thanks,
                Rod

Comment

Working...
                X