This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality of PS3 Video

Was wondering if anything could be done to the quality of a video encoded to MP4. I ISO a few movies and recoded using the PS3 setting. When watching on my HD TV, the quality is not there. I know that the PS3 "upconverts" the actual DVD to seem like HD quality. Not seeing it on my MP4 files. The movies were 16:9 and the video setting was ~720xsomething. I also noticed that on my PS3, if I look at the available functions, there is a "standard video size, full, zoom, and wide" setting. I was NOT allowed to chose a video setting closer to the 1080i settings in DVD Fab.
    Thank you,
    ElSid

Quality is a very subjective thing. What some see as great others think is sub-par.

Try the VOB Passthrough option to give you a reference sample that is same as the movie quality. Then try creating files with different bitrates (leave the 720x video size and crop settings alone). When you find a bitrate high enough that you don't really notice the difference between the VOB Passthrough and the MP4 then you can use that setting going forward. I would suggest selecting only a chapter or 2 while trying the different rates to limit the amount of time it will take to create multiple files.

Comment

Complication is totally correct in his advice.

The ~720 x xxx resolution is correct as that is what most DVD's are authored (usually 720 for PAL, 704 for NTSC) at and if you go larger, you are asking Fab to interpolate the missing pixels and both Complication and I feel that this is better left to the player or TV to upscale.

It really comes down to "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

What works for me may not be good enough for you.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Any suggestion on a starting bitrate?
        Where is the VOB option? I could not find it in the common settings
        Thank you,
        ElSid

Comment

A good start point is 1100 video bitrate.

The VOB option is actually a device profile, not in general settings.
          Last edited by GregiBoy; 11-04-2009, 10:37 PM.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

depends how are you going to see it, are you going to be streaming it or just insert a memory card on your ps3?

Comment

I of 2 ways.
              Some Streaming others downloading and saving to PS3 hard drive.
              Note, all DVD's are being or have been converted to ISO's using the DVD to DVD Clone setting
              Thank you,
              ElSid

Comment

if you are streaming wireless, you may need to lower your bitrate, all depends on your wireless strength

Comment

Agreed on the wireless. Better going hardwired if you can but can usually get away with the 1100 bitrate over wireless.

Comment

PS3 passthrough is the way to go, especially if your playing the video on a larger screen size. Also, if you're streaming, that you do it wired.
                    Go to DVD to File, select your source and the destination, then click next. Then select the "settings" button on the bottom right and then select PS3 VOB passthrough on the pull-down list at the top. Then click the OK and next buttons.
                    Since this option is using the same settings as the original file, you won't have to mess with bitrates, etc.
                    I have all my DVD rips done this way and stored on a NAS that is available to my PS3's. Works great. No "eye of the beholder" issues, as the file format is the same as the orginal.

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz | Radeon HD 4670 | Win7 Pro x64 | 8 GB | Synology DS211j 5TB | Wired GbE | 2x WDTV Live + |

Comment

VOB on PS3?

The PS3 plays VOB files? ... Did I miss the memo or something? Will try to upload a movie to the PS3 and see 1) if it plays VOB files and if so, how it looks. Thank you for the tip
                      Thank you,
                      ElSid

Comment

VOB file needs a playlist? It was automatically set to 4 GB and split my movie. I did not have time to upload to ps3, so will ask ... will VOB play on PS3 directly? If so, do I need a playlist? I like the fact that I can split a VOB file, I have a terabyte that I use for linux as well and it is formated in FAT32. Other users suggestions are welcome.
                        Thank you,
                        ElSid

Comment

yes the Ps3 can play the Vob files. You have two options. 1. use the Vob setting and split in 4 gb parts so you can copy them to a fat32 hard drive and download directly to ps3 with external hard drive. 2. You can use the vob setting and not split it up and use a media server (twonky) to stream it to the ps3 directly( I use this method and instead of playing it I use the copy feature, this will put the one file-which can be larger than 4 gb- on the ps3 hard drive). Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                          X