Bluray rip to mp4 2 passes - Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluray rip to mp4 2 passes - Freezing

Ripping bluray to mp4 (h2.64/aac)using 2 passes starts off ok then the frame count starts to go backwards and then stops altogether and it appears that the programme freezes? Is this a known issue.

I have also tried it with only one pass set and it works fine. Can some please advise me as I am relatively new to this product.

Also when ripping from bluray to mp4, I take it the file size is proportionate to video quality, so a large file of 19Gb on bluray would probably be about 4.7 gb in mp4 when ripped. Just want to rip excellent quality to HDD to use over media extender. I have limited the file size but quality was not so good.

Hope someone can give me some help please.

Regards

Paul

Originally posted by Paul28799 View Post
    I take it the file size is proportionate to video quality, so a large file of 19Gb on bluray would probably be about 4.7 gb in mp4 when ripped.
    Not necessarily.

Each movie is different. You have to consider video codec such as MPEG4, VC1 etc...then you have to consider the audio you keep? Lossless, Lossy core? etc

The movie itself plays a factor,how long is the movie? is it lots of action? a comedy romance vs action adventure? the bit rate will vary depending on the type of movie it is.

Take for instance the movie Transformers...an extremely large amount of cgi used, the bit rate is very high...you can try to cram it down to 4gb but you sacrifice bit rate and overall quality.

Now take the movie Green Mile, very little action and so the bitrate won't be so high. You could probably cram that down and it will still look fairly good as the bluray itself. (But its a longer movie as well, so you are trying to fit more into less)

So again, each movie is different and so the expectations have to change. For those action adventure or longer movies you may consider keeping a larger file, and for the non action shorter movies a smaller file might be just fine.

Me personally, I always just keep the core Dts and Dolby audio. They still sound excellent and take up less space than TrueHD or Dts HD MA (or even Uncompressed PCM)

I convert my Blu's to MKV, I find many of my movies hover around the 12GB range.
    Last edited by crackinhedz; 10-13-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for you advice and comments, still a little puzzled as to why the programme freezes when set to 2 passes, although the video image is still a good quality when ripped using 1 pass in either MKV or Mpeg4 format.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul28799 View Post
        still a little puzzled as to why the programme freezes when set to 2 passes.
        That is a bug for certain profiles and from what I understand theya re working on the fix but not sure when that will be done

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Working...
          X