Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with WD Elements Play and DVDFab BLU ray rips (audio not working)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Problems with WD Elements Play and DVDFab BLU ray rips (audio not working)

Hi all,

Just purchased a 2TB WD elements play to back up my BLU Rays onto and to use to play back the films directly rather than having to burn them all to discs. I would be willing to sacrifice some quality but in fairness wanted the same experince as the originals or as close as possible as I may as well not back up. Well that was the intention anyhow.

First try, convert the BLU rays to ISO via DVDFab and see if that works as it stated it can read them in the WD manual. This works fine for DVDs but not BLU rays. The reason I tried this first is because I would have liked to use the navigation menus which I can on the DVDs but no luck with even seeing a picture the BLU Ray ISO

Second try, convert the BLU rays to M2TS files which the WD player can read but these were jerky and I lost all audio as unfortunatley the WD player is not DTS compatible (something I wish I knew earlier but missed when doing my reasearch into the player)

Third try, convert the BLU rays to MKV's. The player played the files fine but in the instance of using DTS it wouldn't work (for obvious reasons but I thought I'd try). So checking the remove HD audio option still gave the same result, no audio. I tried again selecting AC/3/2 but now I got a blind descriptive audio as well as the audio itself which I didn't realy want.

Fourth try, the same as above but with MP4 which gave me the same results.

I suppose this is a driver fault within the WD elements play itself not DVDFab but I thought I would ask here too. I suppose I should have bought Live TV instead which I'm now aware has DTS support and just plugged an external drive into it. At the time I thought a integrated system would be good rather than two seperate systems.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dee

The WDTV Live has the same issues as the WD Elements Play. Did you do main movie for the ISO? Maybe find a media player that is not made by WD and a few forum members here use some and if you search the forum a bit you will find a few threads about it

Comment

If you have a read of the WD Forums, you will generally find that all WD media player products have bugs and shortcomings and WD are not very forthcoming on firmware upgrades/bug fixes.

In a nutshell.... WD = POS !!!

I suggest that your queries here are better posted on such a WD forum as we know that Fab works and that is what this forum is about, not support for a marginal bit of hardware such as the WD crap.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

AGJ

I did only convert the main movie to ISO. Do you have any other links to any others players?

GregiBoy

Yeah thanks, I'm suspecting what you say is true. Shame as it would really make sense to be able to back up and play files all in one. Works really well for DVDs (using DVDFab) just not BLU Rays and considering it is marketing itself as a HD storage and playing device is a bit misleading

I have posted on the WD site and got the response that I should try a free piece of competitor software to DVDFab that edits the DTS into AC3 which I presume is what remove HD audio does in DVDFab anyhow. I have just tried it and it doesn't work. Will try with a few other settings but like you say its probably a WD issue and not a DVDFab one.

Shame as it would have been nice. I now have a external storage device with no real HD playing capabilites. I suppose once again I will just have to burn the BLU rays to BD-R's.

If anyone does have any more suggestions they would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dee

Comment

i have the Wd tv live and use dvdfab blu ray ripper to mkv and that plays perfect off my external hard drive. smaller sizes are possible by using xxxxx, open xxxxx and compress your mkv file... i did iron man 2 (a 30 odd Gb file... lol can't remember) into a 7 Gb file with no quality loss. you will however lose your menu support, wd don't support them and say probably never will but apart from that it works great. i even plugged a flash drive with mp4 video on it and it played fine.
          Last edited by AGJ; 10-18-2010, 10:06 AM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

The Machine

What were your settings to get so much compression without loss of quality? Do you have any audio issues (not working and picture not syncing with the audio) and image problems that slighly judder ever few seconds? Probably a WD fault and not a DVDFab one Seems that I have wasted my money. Maybe I should have got one of those popcorn units but I thought they look really cheap. Oh well the search continues for something decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee1707 View Post
              The Machine

What were your settings to get so much compression without loss of quality? Do you have any audio issues (not working and picture not syncing with the audio) and image problems that slighly judder ever few seconds? Probably a WD fault and not a DVDFab one Seems that I have wasted my money. Maybe I should have got one of those popcorn units but I thought they look really cheap. Oh well the search continues for something decent.
              well i just did robin hood, i actually copied that as a M2TS file ( i normally just do mkv and then compress with xxxxx but this particular movie was giving me problems) then when it was done i opened it up with xxxxxx (nightly version) ...make sure container is set to mkv file, then add track under audio... i add dts passthru and boom let it do its job, its a power hungry program so don't expect it to be done any time soon. robin hood took about 6 hours, its worth it as robin hood came out as a 9Gb file and how to train your dragon came out as a 3Gb file.
              Last edited by AGJ; 10-22-2010, 05:31 PM. Reason: General Policies

Comment

Working...
              X