Subtitle/audio sync and ouput choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Subtitle/audio sync and ouput choices

I apologize up front as I am a newbie to this. I have searched through the forums and have not found a way to get around the issue I face so I am posting this.

For U.S. (English) DVDs I use HD Decrypter and then pass the resulting file through (xxxxxx) and everything has been great.

I have ripped several foreign (to me) films and require the English subtitles. To do this, I rip the DVD using DVD Copy first, then use DVD Ripper to convert the DVD Copy output to WMV, MP4, etc. I am doing this as it appears to be my only option to get the subtitles rendered in the video. Media center doesn't appear to be real intelligent when handling things like subtitles.

My issue is that as the movie progresses, the audio and subtitles get further and further behind the video. This really starts to be noticeable about 2/3rds of the way through the movie. I don't really care about the audio so much as I can't understand what they are saying anyway. But, it is very hard to watch subtitles and remember who was talking first when they appear 5 to 10 seconds later.

I need playback to work through Media Center (win 7) on XBOX extenders. I have tried outputting to WMV, MP4, etc. and get the same results. The audio and the subtitles get out of sync with the video. I can reproduce the problem with DVDFAB versions 6.2.1.8, 7.0.9.0, and 8.0.2.2. I have tried with default profiles and up through the highest bit rate possible.

The rip completes so there really isn't much in the logs. The video is clean, although I have seen instances where there is pixelization right before the audio starts to drag behind.

Platform is an Asus 6TD V2, i7 920, 6GB Kingston, 1.2TB (4 drives RAID 10) running win 7 64 bit with all the latest patches. Video is an HIS 5770 1GB DDR5 with the latest patches. Nothing has been overclocked.

Question 1: Is there a way to just get mpeg2 output with the subtitles rendered? I am not concerned about disk space or time to render.

Question 2: If the answer to number 1 is "NO", then is it possible that skipping the time correction step of (xxxxx) is leading to the audio time sequences screwing up the output? I always had to use (xxxxx) to clear up out of sequence chapters, etc. But, as I am thinking about it, I didn't know whether the lack of this step is leading to my issue. BTW, the video is fine from a sequence perspective.

Question 3: Is there a specific output format or some other product that I can use to help solve this problem?

Question 4: If your answer to question 3 is (competing product), please don't respond as that product cannot convert anything and make it watchable.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by AGJ; 10-15-2010, 03:56 AM. Reason: General Policies

Hi attweb,

1) Please use DVD Ripper - VOB option to convert with mpeg2 output, but the subtitles will be extracted not rendered;
    2) For the a/v sync issue, we have submitted it to our developers, please understand the technology improvement will take some time. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,
    sunny

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Sorry to hear the sync issues are going to take a while.

Just as an FYI, I did find another product that will convert from the dvdfab HD decrypt output to MPEG with the subtitles rendered. While the audio and subtitles were not perfectly in sync, they were quite acceptable throughout the movie. I won't bother entering the name of the product as it will save the moderator from having to x it out.

I must admit, my little quest has resulted in me now owning licences to several suites of video conversion products.

If you are having the same issue as I was, you could PM me, I think. Hopefully that won't ruffle any feathers here. I did not come here to troll. I have a license for this product (Ripper and Copy) and intend to use both products for a long time.

Thanks again Sunny for the guidance.

Comment

Working...
      X