Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD to MKV Aspect Ratio

Hello All

Just been trying to convert a DVD to MKV using the remux option (selecting the profile mkv.remux)

The problem is that the Cropping and Aspect ratio feature does not produce the correct file: For example: If I select the Edit option I can only see one Resolution = 720x576. This is what I would expect as the DVD is in PAL format.

If I then look at the Video Effect Settings the Source image and the Output image show different aspect ratios. The Source image is correct, but the Output has been squashed (not very good) If I look at the crop settings it tells me that the original frame resolution is actually 1024x576, if I disable the crop the output image shows the correct ratio.

But when I actually do the conversion the end result has been stretched. I have tried all the settings, Disabled, Automatic and customized. They all produce the same stretched output. I have even tried setting a custom size to 1024x576 with crop disabled and the output is still stretched. I also tried a custom setting of 720x400 with crop disabled to try and compensate for the stretching, but again the output is stretched

No matter what I do the output is always 720x576 with a ratio of 5:4 (according to Media Info)

How can I get the output to show correctly?

The DVD in question is StarWars Episode IV A New Hope

Any help please?

Thanks. eon

DVD Ripper DVD to MkV Aspect Ratio

Hi eon designs,

1) Please try to install the latest beta version 8.0.2.4 at http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=DVDFAB_BETA to convert again.

2) For your problems, could you please use other DVDs to convert and see if this is a universal problem, or just for this one DVD?

Best regards,
    Anny

Comment

Hello

Thanks for the response

I was using version 8.0.2.0. I tried a couple of other DVD's to check and they all did the same thing. Stretched the image and always outputted to 720x576 at a ratio of 5:4

I have installed the latest Beta, as you suggested. Unfortunately as soon as you hit the convert button the application crashes.

Loaded the latest stable version 8.0.2.2 and that also stretches the image. Again I have just tried a couple of other DVD's and they all do the same.

If I select the profile generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy the output is perfect. Unfortunately this has added compression to the video which is not what I want.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks. eon
      Last edited by eon_designs; 10-19-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

DVD Ripper DVD to MkV Aspect Ratio

Hi eon designs,

1) When the crash problem occurs, please try to click the round green icon button with a check mark at the right top corner of the DVDFab screen,
        and open Common Settings->General->A/V Codec, set video decoder as software and set video encoder as software, then convert again to see the result.

2) When you use "generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy" profile to convert your original DVD discs, please insert the original movie to your DVD drive, select the titles you need to convert, click on "Edit", open "Conversion settings", and drag the sliding bar (seen in the attachment) to the right side to change output size to bigger size according to your needs.

Best regards,
        Anny
        DVDFab Support Team
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello

Thanks for the response

I have reloaded the Beta version (8.0.2.4) and set the A/V Codecs to Software. This time the software did not crash :-)

Unfortunately when using the "mkv.remux" profile the output is always the same:

I have tried:

Default, not changing any of the crop settings. End output file is 720x576 5:4 ratio and the image is stretched.

Crop Disabled. End output file is 720x576 5:4 ratio and the image is stretched.

Crop Disabled and resized to 720x400. End output file is 720x576 5:4 ratio and the image is stretched.

Crop Disabled and resized to 720x400 and keep Aspect Ratio ticked. End output file is 720x576 5:4 ratio and the image is stretched.

Why does the remux profile seem to always default back to a 5:4 ratio and ignore any of the settings for cropping etc.

I also looked at the "generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy" profile and did know about the slider being able to change either the bitrate or the end file size. However, at the extream of the slider you could re-encode a 6GB DVD into a 36GB MKV file? I was wanting to just do a simple remux not involving any new re-encoding.

Out of interest, is anyone else getting the same problems when using the "mkv.remux" profile - or is it just me.

Many thanks. eon

Comment

It is just you not correctly understanding what a remux profile does...

It does not change the video stream whatsoever and if you use something like MediaInfo to inspect the original VOB's, I will bet that they have exactly the same dimensions/aspect ratio as the resultant MKV that you are producing.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Sorry to bring bad news.

I just tried 3 different DVD's they all say 720x567 (16:9) in MediaInfo looking at the original vobs but after using the mkv.remux profile they all come out as 720x576 (5:4)

Any thoughts

Thanks. eon

Comment

Yeah, sorry to bring more bad news!!!

Looks like a bug in Fab then.

Try the same process with some of the free software that is available to see whether the problem is unique to Fab or those particular DVD's,
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks for the reply GregiBoy

I did some tests using some other free software (2 of the more well known ones - not sure if I am allowed to mention them here?)

Both of them created MKV's out of all the DVD's with the correct size and aspect ratio. One of them does a complete remux not changing anything about the DVD except it turns it into an MKV, the other did a re-encoding along with cropping the black bars away.

So from that I can only suggest that it is a bug with DVDFab - hope it can be fixed :-)

eon.

Comment

Hi eon designs,
                    I test this you said in lastest build 8024beta;
                    In fact,"MKV.REMUX" is just physics conversion and a process of copy,no coding compress,so the frame setting is unmodifiable.
                    You can have a try with other profile as you wanna.

Good luck
                    Joe

Comment

Thanks qbs.cn. Really all I am looking for is converting a DVD straight into a MKV file with no encoding - just a straight copy.

But the current "mkv.remux" profile is not doing that correctly - it is not reading the correct ratio of the files? If the original DVD and the vobs within it are all reading as 16:9 then surely the direct copy using this profile should result in a 16:9 output?

Comment

Hi eon_designs,
                        As you said,I think the Devs of Fab will do some works for you wanna.
                        Good luck.
                        Joe

Comment

ED, I've added you as a friend so that you can send me a PM....

Comment

I am having the same issues as eon_designs. All I want is exact aspect ratio conversion to .mkv. Hope DVDFab dev team will address this issue soon.

Comment

DVDFab 8.0.5.3 - still not producing the correct aspect ratio on MKV conversions using the remux option.

End MKV is still being produced at a ratio of 5:4 instead of 16:9

Has this been added to the 'to-do' list?

Comment

Working...
                              X