Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Rip Size

Hell All

I have a question about what format I should use to RIP my Blu rays, I did one last night in MP4 and when I was finished the end result was that the size was only 4GB. My question is did I do something wrong because I know that the Movie itself is bigger than 4GB. I am looking for the best quality available. Any suggestions would be great.

Originally posted by Bradp56 View Post
    Hell All

I have a question about what format I should use to RIP my Blu rays, I did one last night in MP4 and when I was finished the end result was that the size was only 4GB. My question is did I do something wrong because I know that the Movie itself is bigger than 4GB. I am looking for the best quality available. Any suggestions would be great.
    Undoubtedly, best container (format) out there is MKV. This container can accommodate all content of BD or DVD with very little overhead (smallest size).
    Level of compression however, is a different story. Greater compression, lower bitrate = smaller file size and lower quality. DVDFab offers range of compression for MKV container from no compression at all - "mkv.remux" profile, to a customized compression with h264 coding - "mkv.h264.audiocopy" profile.
    General rule of the quality is to keep bit/pixel ratio close 0.2 or higher. By adjusting resolution and bitrate you can achieve desired result and have reasonable size with reasonable quality. In average, MKV of a movie with very good quality (visibly same as original) and original audio (without HD overhead) ranges between 6 and 8 gig. However, some of the content isn't easy "compressible" and requires larger file size.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Excellent thank you for your help. What is the best way to play a MKV file. I have VLC and it plays but it seems to be a bit choppy is that because it is soo large? Also Why did the MKV file RIP soo fast while MP4 or AVI took Hours?

Thanks again.

Comment

Excellent thank you for your help. What is the best way to play a MKV file. I have VLC and it plays but it seems to be a bit choppy is that because it is soo large?
        Unlike many DVDFab users, I personally don't like VLC, I like Media Player Classic Home Cinema ( http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html ). Why is it seems choppy I don't know - there are more than one reason for it...

Also Why did the MKV file RIP soo fast while MP4 or AVI took Hours?
        Because MKV is a best container and h264 a very good code.
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thank you again for more input. I couldnt believe how fast it started Ripping and finished.

So the reason when I RIP to MP4 or AVI the file is only 4 to 6GB is because there is some compression and with MKV remux there is no compression and the file will be the full file?

Comment

So the reason when I RIP to MP4 or AVI the file is only 4 to 6GB is because there is some compression and with MKV remux there is no compression and the file will be the full file?
            Correct. If use "remux" profile, there would be no compression involved and it would be original file size with original bitrate. However, bitrate used in BR mastering - 30-50 Mbps - IMO is overkill, and 8-10 Mbps is plenty. In most of the cases with 1080 resolution and 8-10 Mbps bitrate you will get close to 0.20 bit/pix ratio and 6-8 gig file (if audio is AC3 or DTS, not HD or MA). These parameters will give you a solid, good quality rip. I like DVDFab because their Me settings are optimal for most of the content and you are getting good quality with relatively fast conversion speed. Besides, now DVDFab can process interleaved content, and that makes DVDFab the best for the task.
            In your case, if size of file is a determining factor, I would suggest to set file size to say, 8 gig (on "edit" page), check "remove HD audio" and let it fly... Enjoy.
            sigpic

Comment

Man you have been a big help. Thank you again. I dont mind it being 16GB its just when I played the video it was a little choppy so I am worried that it could be the player or my video card is not good enough even though it will play the blu-rays fine.

Comment

Working...
              X