Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Encode Settings Similar to

Hey all,

I have been doing research but I cannot find the info im after.

I am looking at DVDfab for ripping my DVDs. It is very good at doing that. However I cannot seem to find an encode preset im happy with.

Currently I use xxxxxx for encoding as it is very simple tool and the results are great. I however I want to use DVDfab encoder because it will save time and effort by removing the need to use to two applications. CUDA also reduces the encode speed by half so I spend less time doing what is a boring task.

My question is: what do you think is the best profile to get .m4v encodes that are similar to xxxxxx Regular,Normal profile?

I found that the standard MP4 encode to have a lower bitrate than xxxxxxxx. Also on video preset xxxxxxx uses FPS 'same as source' and a 'constant Quality of 60.78% RF:20'.

Another thing I notice is that I lose subtitles with xxxxxxx. Not a problem most of the time unless there is a scene in another language. What would be best settings to keep these but only be displayed when needed.

Your help is much apreshiated as once I have this sorted I can spend more time drinking beer and less time ripping. Thanks
    Last edited by AGJ; 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM. Reason: General Polices

hivltg I suggest that you give the General Policies a read http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=20 This the DVDFab forum and mentioning competing software whether it freeware or not is not allowed

Now if you want a file similar to what you get with that other program then use MediaInfo http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo on a file created with that program and post the info in this thread.

I'm sure once you have that info you may be able to figure out the settings for DVDFab DVD Ripper to get what you want

Comment

No wonder I couldn't find the results I was after if you filter out competing software. I think that's a silly policy. After all almost all tutorials online recommend the use of this application named after a part of a car usually used to keep a car stationary alongside DVDfab for the ripping process. Lifehacker being one of them.

The idea of this post being to eliminate such application from my ripping process thus giving DVDfab the upper hand over over software competitors. Giving people a reason to move from this 2 step process to just the one.

Allowing me to talk about competing software that I am trying to move from will help me considerer the move away from it. Not allowing me to talk about it not only hinders people from moving to your software (like it has with me) but also shows that this company is afraid of the competition.

I would highly consider altering this policy to allow more flexibility e.g allowing people to disuse comparisons without slagging off DVDfab.

Thanks for the info however and I will see if this will give me the results i'm after. If not I will have to stick with the application named after a part of a car usually used to keep a car stationary.

Comment

Using the info I got from mediainfo here is the sort of benchmark that is good. Any ideas on a good preset? Thanks

General
        Format : MPEG-4
        Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
        Codec ID : mp42
        File size : 1.36 GiB
        Duration : 2h 37mn
        Overall bit rate : 1 237 Kbps
        Encoded date : UTC 2010-11-02 21:20:38
        Tagged date : UTC 2010-11-02 22:07:50
        Writing application : HandBrake 0.9.4 2009112300

Video
        ID : 1
        Format : AVC
        Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
        Format profile : Main@L3.0
        Format settings, CABAC : Yes
        Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
        Codec ID : avc1
        Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
        Bit rate mode : Variable
        Bit rate : 1 073 Kbps
        Width : 718 pixels
        Height : 436 pixels
        Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
        Frame rate mode : Variable
        Frame rate : 25.000 fps
        Minimum frame rate : 12.500 fps
        Maximum frame rate : 25.000 fps
        Color space : YUV
        Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
        Bit depth : 8 bits
        Scan type : Progressive
        Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.137
        Stream size : 1.18 GiB (87%)
        Writing library : x264 core 79
        Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=0 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
        Encoded date : UTC 2010-11-02 21:20:38
        Tagged date : UTC 2010-11-02 22:07:50
        Color primaries : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M
        Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
        Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio
        ID : 2
        Format : AAC
        Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
        Format version : Version 4
        Format profile : LC
        Codec ID : 40
        Bit rate mode : Variable
        Bit rate : 160 Kbps
        Maximum bit rate : 232 Kbps
        Channel(s) : 2 channels