Trying to understand Frame Resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Trying to understand Frame Resolutions

I’ve recently switched from converting my DVDs from AVI-XviD to MKV-h264. My settings are (now) generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy with 2-pass, 2000kbps and crop set to automatic. My question comes to the Frame Resolution. I did three tests with two different movies. In some cases I think I see a difference, but then I think I’m just physic-ing myself out. My question is what SHOULD I be seeing? Below are the tests I ran, of the tests, can anyone tell me what I am doing to the quality one way or the other?

HOW_TO_TRAIN_YOUR_DRAGON: Title(9), Play Time(01:37:45)
    Original Frame Resolution (854 x 480)
    Original Aspect Ratio (1.78:1)
    Test 1 – 720x310 = This is the default setting for DVDFab
    Test 2 – 848x366 = This is the highest resolution available for DVDFab
    Test 3 – 854x480 = This is the same resolution as the DVD

KICK_ASS: Title(1), Play Time(01:57:42)
    Original Frame Resolution (854 x 480)
    Original Aspect Ratio (1.78:1)
    Test 1 – 720x304 = This is the default setting for DVDFab.
    Test 2 – 848x360 = This is the highest resolution available for DVDFab
    Test 3 – 854x480 = This is the same resolution as the DVD

Regards

Depends on what you are watching on. TV probably not.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello 90312,

I would be watching them on either a 40" Samsung LED using a WD Live player or a 60" Samsung LED using an HTPC.

Regards.

Comment

I usually stay with the DVD resolution, the TV's processor will fill out the display. If you made it 320x180 the processor would still fill out the screen but the quality would suffer. If the DVD is 720x480 I stay with that and up the bit rate a bit to help keep color saturation. If it is a BR disc 1920x1080. There may be other opinions but that works for me.

Albert Einstein

Comment

If you use MediaInfo to inspect the original DVD rip, you will find that the dimensions are 720 x XXX or 704 x XXX depending on aspect ratio and PAL/NTSC.

I have had this discussion with Fengtao and he is TECHNICALLY correct on the displayed resolution numbers becausing of anamorphic encoding, etc, but it is confusing for newbies.

As my good friend, Niner said, there is nothing to be gained by upping the resolution above 720 in the X dimension and just adjust the bitrate until you are happy with the result.

To be quite honest, on H264 MKV Audiocopy files that I encode, I find that anything above 1800 is GENERALLY not necessary and this is displaying it on a 52" Samsung.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thank you both for chiming in.

90312, so what I would take away from of your post is that I should keep the resolution the same for DVDs and put Blu-rays at 1920x1080.

GregiBoy, so you feel 1800 is the sweet spot for DVD rips then?

Of course I will continue to do my own experimenting, but I do enjoy hearing what other people are doing as it adds insight for me.

Regards.

Comment

GregiBoy and I agree that there is nothing to be gained from trying to make the frame resolution larger than that of the DVD whether SD or BR. GregiBoy keeps the resolution the same as the DVD and has settled on a bit rate of 1800 or so. So do I, 1800 to 2200 is usually good enough but experiment a little and see what you like best. I also keep the Bits/Pixel above 0.2xx for the best results. If you use a bit rate of 1800 or so it should be well above 0.2xx.
              BTW if you are in the US 1920x1080 is the resolution of a BR disc, I think, but if different just set to whatever it is.
              Last edited by 90312; 11-14-2010, 01:27 AM.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I said GENERALLY, I use 1800 as my first port of call.

That said, for some titles with a lot of fast moving action (The Matrix is an example), I generally sneak the bitrate up.

Please note, these parameters that we are discussing are for DVD to MKV H264 Audiocopy and do vary for profile.

As I have said many times before on this forum, I really cannot be bothered with the BR SH1T.

I regard BR as a marketing ploy by the manufacturers and studios as an opportunity to sell more hardware and re-release their titles, hence adding to their revenue.

GB - The Blu-Ray Devils Advocate
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Again, thank you both for your time.

Comment

Working...
                  X