Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tablet recommendations for DVDFab DVD rips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Tablet recommendations for DVDFab DVD rips?

I want to get a tablet that I can take to the gym to watch movies while I work out. (A lot of their equipment has little shelves where you can put ipods, kindles, etc.)

The thinner the device, the better, and I'm looking for at least a 7" screen, and (hopefully) something people here have successfully used to rip DVDs to a format with acceptable audio/video on the tablet device.

I assume the iPad is fine, but I wonder if there's anything thinner or with better battery life that will do the job?

I am looking at the color nook ($249). It plays MP4's. It is on my Xmas list. It supports 720x480. I saw a demo of it playing a video and it looked good. I usually rip audio at 150% volume. It has a headphone jack. I imagine you can watch 1 movie based on battery life estimates but I really don't know for sure. It has an 8 hr battery life with normal use. I like the feel of it. Easy to handle with one hand. It supports a user supplied microSD card (up to 32Gig). That should hold 30 movies.

Comment

Mm, I hadn't considered the nook. That is an option, I imagine. Does anyone here use the Archos (I think that's the brand?) tablets?

Comment

I looked at the Archos 7. The screen resolution is 800x480. The color nook is 1024x600. I am primarily using it for reading and that is a big deal for me. It also supports ePub format and PDF format. My library uses that. I couldn't figure out if Archos supports it. The nook has the book lend feature. It is linked to the B&N store. It is early but the color nook has very good reviews so far.

I also looked at the Galaxy tab. It is over 2.5X the cost and still did not have must have features.

The iPad is too big and does not support ePub format. Also, you cannot add storage memory.

Comment

A Suggestion

You might want to check into the reasonably priced "RockTab" tablet. Its had some excellent write-ups and YouTube videos demonstrations.
          Just google Rocktab and you'll find a source for it.
          Cheers,
          Fred

Comment

NOOKcolor - Fantastic for mp4 movies

Hi,
            I have had the NOOKcolor for about a week and a half and I absolutely love it. I bought it for watching movies at the gym and for reading books. I tried many of the formats in DVDFab and the only one that I noticed that worked in the conversions so far is the iPod conversion. Under the 'other -> MP4' it doesn't work. I decided to by the 16GB microSDHC card to use for the videos. I might buy several of them to have movies on one and TV episodes on the other. With the ability to switch cards in and out you technically have unlimited memory Right now the 16GB microSDHC cards run about $30 on Newegg.com. The 32GB ones are around $100 - a little too much!

As far as the resolution goes, I used the format that the DVD was in. I put in an episode of Stargate SG1 season 7 episode 1(Fallen). I think the "Original" format that DVDFab said was something like (860x654). I can't remember since I am at work at the moment. Anyway, I used that as a custom format under the iPod profile and it turned out fantastic. I always up the audio to 145% on all of my conversions too since devices seem to be too low at 100% no matter which device I put it on. Usually at 150%+ it may start to distort depending on the device. I have an iPod touch 32GB gen1 and 64GB gen3. I may try a higher audio on the NOOKcolor sometime this week to see what happens.

Comment

It looks like I probably am going to get the NOOKcolor. Every review I have seen of them so far complains about video compatibility issues, but I believe that's because the reviewers were just trying to play videos off the net and not things specifically encoded for the tablet. I plan to do my own recodes for everything I put on it, so I don't anticipate that being an issue.

Thanks for the tip on audio. At the gym of course you need things to be pretty loud.

Comment

I just got my NookColor today and neither the iPod template nor the MP4 template would play on my Nook, even though both videos I converted were fine on the PC.

Can anyone recommend specific settings in DVD Ripper (I'm using DVDFab 8.0.6.5) that they know will play on the Nook? I know the Nook's specifications, (MP4, M4v, MPEG-4 up to 854x480, H.264 up to 854.480) but it's still not working.

Comment

I am also very interested in getting a colornook. If someone is successful in getting a reliable profile, please post it!

Comment

I just posted one. Works great.

Last edited by billbell52; 12-29-2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X