Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upscalling Bluray - Avatar (2009) - Best settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab Enlarger AI for Converter Upscalling Bluray - Avatar (2009) - Best settings?

I purchased Enlarger AI a long time ago, but rarely, if ever use it. It takes a long time, even with my RTX3060 and aging i9-10900k system.

I know the "best settings" can vary from disc to disc, but now that it is confirmed that Avtar (2009) 4K disc that is coming out is the Theatrical, and not Extended Collectors or Special Editions, I was wondering if anyone used Enlarger AI to upscale their Avatar (2009) bluray to 4K, what settings did you use, and were you happy with the results?

Was it noticeably better than just playing the original Blu-ray and letting the TV/Bluray Player do the upscaling?

While I've tried a couple of times, the output doesn't look noticeably different than playing the originally purchased bluray on my Sony UBP-X800 player and my Sony XR-77A80J 77" OLED Tv. Nor does it look different playing the BD Rip (movie only, no compression) vs running it through Elarger AI to upscale to 4K when playing the MKV back on my 2019 Shield TV Pro or Roku with the same TV.

So I'm looking for suggestions on settings.

Posted by Kid Joe
    Sony UBP-X800 player and my Sony XR-77A80J 77" OLED Tv
    Wow, That's an awesome setup. I live in a frathouse and we have a 77" LG OLED C2 EVO TV and we have the LG S75Q Soundbar. I am wondering if you are happy with the 4K output in the Sony setup. Where we are in Cambridge Mass in the USA, the providers really lack the bitrate to make these setups work at peek.
    Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Full setup of the Basement "theater": Sony XR-77A80J, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX-505 (5.1.4), Sony UBP-X800, NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019), Roku Ultra R4800r, PS5, WiiU, Polk Monitor XT35 (C), Polk Monitor XT70 (FL/FR), Polk RT15i (SL/SR), Polk PSW108 (sub), Polk VT60 in ceiling (H1L/H1R, H2L/H2R)

it's looks great. Obviously straight disc rips, 4k and 1080p look amazing and sound the best. (I use MakeMKV to rip movie only uncompressed, then sometimes use NVencc to encode has H265).

Streaming providers really depend on the provider and content.

Here in Pa, I have Comcast 1.2gig (over provisioned to 1.4gig) waiting on mid-split to get better upload speeds.

Disney+ in 4K/DV with Atmos is amazing for streaming quality. Amazon 4k and 1080p is very good too.

To be honest, the 1080p of Avatar (2009) extended collectors edition disc looks great as is. Just curious if these tools can enhance it more.

And I'm curious what the 4k Theatrical Disc is going to look like. Way of Water streaming on Amazon and Disney+ looks really really good. I have the 4k 2009 theatrical and way of water 4k discs on order, so should be here the 19th or 20th?

Comment

There are no good settings apparently, I asked the same question and the answer was to try Unifab??????????????

Comment

I ended up buying the 4K Collector's Edition that just came out.

It looks way way better than any attempt I have made using Fab's AI tools to upscale the 1080p blueray to 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by girdnerg View Post
            There are no good settings apparently, I asked the same question and the answer was to try Unifab??????????????
            Enlarger AI was moved into Unifab so that is a non-answer answer.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post

Enlarger AI was moved into Unifab so that is a non-answer answer.
              And what kind of help was this supposed to be? The same as the mods----NONE! My answer is still correct!

All either one of them do is upscale. The artifacts and crap are still there, so the AI is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by girdnerg View Post

And what kind of help was this supposed to be? The same as the mods----NONE! My answer is still correct!

All either one of them do is upscale. The artifacts and crap are still there, so the AI is stupid.
                I think you missread what I was trying to say. you mentioned that when you asked you were told to try Unifab.. I was agreeing that trying Unifab was a non-answer.

Comment

Originally posted by KidJoe View Post

I think you missread what I was trying to say. you mentioned that when you asked you were told to try Unifab.. I agreed that trying Unifab was a non-answer.
                  You are correct KidJoe, as far as I am concerned this is a useless program. It takes 3 days for anything to get done and uses all your CPU power to use it.
                  Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Have to agree with Chameleon, my lifetime purchase of Video Enhancer AI​ ( last updated April 2023 and now abandoned) is very disappointing for the reasons you state. Same with Enlarger AI.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyo57 View Post
                      Have to agree with Chameleon, my lifetime purchase of Video Enhancer AI​ ( last updated April 2023 and now abandoned) is very disappointing for the reasons you state. Same with Enlarger AI.
                      Have you tried installing Unifab and signing in... seeing if it has the features? Their release notes for Unifab 2.0 says "Added support to enhance video quality but keep the original resolution." and afterall Video Enhancer AI features were:
                      DVDFab Video Enhancer AI is an AI-based tool for video quality enhancement and resolution enlargement. With AI ​​models that are trained by a neural network plus super-resolution technology, automatically enhance videos or movies with poor image quality and low resolution. Enjoy an improved viewing experience of these videos when played on a large screen.
                      that closely describes Unifab.

I mean they rolled Enlarger AI in to Unifab, so it wouldn't surprise me that Video Enhancer was as well.

But we have seen them stop supporting apps before too. so , I wouldn't be surprised if its done.

Comment

Working...
                      X