Blu-ray Copy Mac just freezes on inserting Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray Copy Blu-ray Copy Mac just freezes on inserting Blu-ray

I was excited to see there finally is a Mac version of DVDFab / Blu-ray Copy out. Unfortunately it did not work for me so far. Blu-ray Copy Mac just freezes whenever I insert a Blu-ray, giving me the spinning beach ball forever. It's no matter how long I wait, the only way to get out is to force quit then. The task manager of my Mac OS shows that the application is simply not responding. So far I tried version 8.1.3.6 and 8.1.3.7 with two different Blu-rays. It's no matter if the Blu-ray is inserted when the application is already running or before. I tried doing this several times. Of course I will not buy this version under the given circumstances.

Background info:

- Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
    - Blu-ray drive: LG GGC-H20L
    - connected via Serial ATA (to motherboard)
    - drive shows up (is mounted) in Mac OS
    - Blu-ray Copy PC runs fine with this Blu-ray drive, both on a separate PC and under Parallels, Window XP emulation on Mac
    - there was no error log, only the two other logs with no significant info in them (guess the application isn't getting so far as to produce an error log)

I'm a long time happy customer of the PC version of Blu-ray copy for two years now. I would be willing to pay the license for the Mac version instead of renewal of the PC version. I have to make the decision right now, as the renewal is due.

I know there is version 8.1.3.8 out now – I will test this soon and let you know about the results. Let me know if you need any more info to investigate.
    Last edited by Sir John Steed; 12-11-2011, 04:04 PM. Reason: Wrong code name for Mac Os given

I'ts not the drive or the disc, for us it was the software. We had a similar problem and like you all it showed was that it wasn't responding. I had to trash the preferences file and then, and only then, would it work correctly. OS X will make you a new preferences file that doesn't contain the error the very next time that you start the program. You may have a different issue so I'd wait to see their suggestions.

Comment

Still freezes in 8.1.3.8

I'm sorry to say, but verson 8.1.3.8 still freezes on inserting a Blu-ray. I downloaded a fresh copy of 8.1.3.8 for Mac, removed the DVDFab application and the DVDFab folder in the documents folder. Same symptoms as above, the application is just not responding anymore as soon as a Blu-ray is inserted. With the last attempt I waited for at least 8 minutes, but as the task manager says 'not responding' I assume it doesn't matter anyway. Unlike the PC version there are no extensive movements to be heard coming from the drive's write-read head (as soon as this happens), so it doesn't sound as if the application is analyzing the Blu-ray structure at all. It just crashes.

I'm asking for assistance here.

Additional background info:

- Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (early 2008 model)
      - Blu-ray drive is installed in second slot

Comment

How do we get a refund? They've moved to a subscription service for this software, and I won't have all of my subscription time eaten up while they figure out how to develop this software. So many people are having issues with it and its closer to beta software than a full release. After they get it working I'll reconsider buying it, but there's no telling how long it will take for them to iron out all of Blu-ray Copies issues. Meanwhile all of your subscription time is dribbling away. Once you pay for something, especially something that is subscription based, it should work as advertised. This clearly doesn't. It's sad. I've been a loyal fan of DVDFab since they first came out. This does not live up to their usual high standards.

Comment

What about inserting a DVD disc? Does it freez? More info are needed.

Comment

DVDFab does not find a regular (no blu-ray) disc, HOWEVER it does see it manually when you click on the yellow folder button. Unfortunately nothing happens when you select the disc.

Comment

the specs & model of your Mac would help along with your Blue ray device is your firmware up to date on your dvd reader/burner?

Comment

See attachment for Mac specs. See below for drives specs (latest firmware):

Brand LG
                Model WH12LS39
                Type Internal Blu-ray Burner
                Cache 4MB
                BD-ROM Access Time 180 ms
                Data Transfer Rate
                1.5Gbps bits/s (10b side)
                1.2Gbps bits/s (8b side) Write Speed
                BD-R 12X
                BD-RE 2X
                DVD+R 16X
                DVD+RW 8X
                DVD-R 16X
                DVD-RW 6X
                CD-R 48X
                CD-RW 24X
                BD-R DL 12X
                BD-RE DL 2X
                DVD+R DL 8X
                DVD-R DL 8X
                DVD-RAM 12X
                BD-ROM 10X
                DVD-ROM 16X
                CD-ROM 48X

LightScribe Support Yes
                Form Factor 5.25"
                Panel Color Black
                Configuration Load Type
                Tray Interface
                SATA Software

12X BD-R Read and Write Capability

3D Playback & 2D to 3D Content Conversion

Serial ATA Interface

M-DISC Support

Lightscribe Direct Disc Labeling

BLU-RAY, DVD, and CD Family Read/Write Compatible
                Attached Files

Comment

great specs for your mac maybe with that and the added info the dvdfab support team can help you to be honest I am puzzled I am running lion .
                  10.73 with no issues and a internal lg blue ray dvd/reader I open fab up insert either a standard dvd or a blue ray in my Lg blue ray burner and it opens every time I have tested all the option in dvdfab and I personally have not had any problem.

have you disabled movie player on start up of a movie I did have to do that and set dvdfab to open the movies that was the only issue I had after that everything worked fine.

I think another program installed on your mac is taking control of your drive and I have no idea what other programs you may have installed a list of those for the dvdfab support team would help lots too.

My operating system lion was a clean install also so I have the bare bones of programs installed dvdfab is the only dvd program installed.

I hope you get it worked out I wish I could give you some more things to try.

Comment

I turned DVD Player off so that it would not open up a disc when inserted.

I don't think it is any other software causing a conflict because last night I formatted a new drive and installed it in the mini, then installed a fresh copy of OS X and a fresh copy of Blu-ray Copy. There was no other software installed on the Mac. Same problem occurred. I've tried USB, Firewire 800, and SATA. Same problem occurred. I'll post a screenshot of how system preferences is setup below.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

your settings are correct for sure same way
                        as I have mine set up.
                        You said your blue ray drive was a internal correct or is it a firewire or usb external all the info you can give will be of great help to dvdfab to correct any flaws not all machines pc or mac work the same way.

I think you have provided a good start for them to go on another thing you should post is the error logs ect found in my documents would be of a great help too even though it is freezing or not seeing your drive.

Comment

heck I missed one thing try setting your auto play as do nothing if you have not already done so then launch dvdfab and insert the movie and see if that does the trick it may very well.

Comment

Originally posted by XX14 View Post
                            You said your blue ray drive was a internal correct or is it a firewire or usb external
                            Internal drive in a external case. It accepts USB 2.0, Firewire (400/800) and eSATA. See attachment. It uses the latest Oxford 934DSB Chipset.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by terry5 View Post
                              What about inserting a DVD disc? Does it freez? More info are needed.
                              It does freeze too when I insert a DVD into the LG GGC-H20L (Blu-ray drive). It does NOT freeze though when I insert a DVD into the LG GH22NP21 (Super Multi DVD±RW) which is still installed in the upper tray for internal optical drives. It then correctly scans the DVD. I would doubt there are conflicts between the two drives as one is connected via standard IDE, the other via SATA. But I can remove the first drive if you want me to.

I can copy files from the LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray drive under Mac OS, as it is correctly mounted there. So I assume it should be recognized by DVDFab, and indeed DVDFab is reacting in some kind of way – but not in the way wanted.

Comment

Working...
                              X