Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Little Disappointed / Maybe Looking for Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other A Little Disappointed / Maybe Looking for Suggestions?

So my solution has always been some sort of half-fast (wondershare) dvd coping software + handbrake. So I was so happy when DVDFab came to Mac. I immediately bought DVDFab's DVD Copy for Mac and haven't looked back. It's great. DVDFab is great. You guys stay on top of it. Awesome.

So I then decided I wanted to support DVDFab and buy the All-In-One for Mac (lifetime subscription). Figured it would just make my life easier because all the tools are right there in one software package and i wont need handbrake anymore. Plus gives me an excuse to buy an external blue-ray burner and that little android pc for the tv looks neat (haven't heard anything about receiving that yet but its only been a week or so and the holidays are here). I also recall reading that DVDFab uses ffmpeg on the back end for transcoding now which is what handbrake uses so it should be awesome.

To my surprise though, that isn't the case. Most of the video conversions fail for me. I don't mean fail as in it doesn't proceed but I mean fail as in some sort of issue. For example:

I downloaded one of the blender open movie projects "big buck bunny" just to play around with the new software, from here actually if you want to try, converted it to an mkv with aac audio and each time i converted it it gets all pixely starting when the rabbit first walks off the screen and then in spots for the rest of the movie. After a few tries on my work's mac book pro i decided to go home and give it a shot on mine. Same exact issues starting in the same exact spot. So at this point I'm thinking its gotta be the downloaded file. I run the same conversion with handbrake on both and they are perfect. How come?

Anything I need to do that includes trancoding wether it is video file to video file or dvd to video file is very hit or miss and usually has to be done a few times before i get a good result. This is probably the biggest issue for me.

I would probably say my only other big issue, is that there are a lot of times DVDFab hangs and there is no progress indicator or time remaining count down. I tried to convert a DVD to a mkv and it showed progress for the first few step and on the last one just hung. A few hours later it said it was done but my movie file was 0 bytes. Ugh.

But I still think DVDFab is great and will continue using it (but use handbrake for the conversion until DVDFabs gets a bit more reliable) because I know it will only get better. If anyone has had similar issues or has any tricks to get it to be a bit better i'd love to hear them.

I have done a few things I've read on forum posts such as resetting the DMA already.

Oh one more thing, for the Mac version, and this is just a personal thing, please change "setting" to "settings" on the drop down menu. I don't know why but it bothers me but I just figured I'd throw in the request.

Thank you,

Nate

Hi Nate,

I'm sorry for the trouble and thank you very much for your support.

DVDFab 9 will have a new conversion engine, which will be available in near future, it will greatly improve the video file support and the conversion feature, please wait, thanks.

Best Regards,
    Fengtao
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by nomb View Post
      So my solution has always been some sort of half-fast (wondershare) dvd coping software + handbrake. So I was so happy when DVDFab came to Mac. I immediately bought DVDFab's DVD Copy for Mac and haven't looked back. It's great. DVDFab is great. You guys stay on top of it. Awesome.

So I then decided I wanted to support DVDFab and buy the All-In-One for Mac (lifetime subscription). Figured it would just make my life easier because all the tools are right there in one software package and i wont need handbrake anymore. Plus gives me an excuse to buy an external blue-ray burner and that little android pc for the tv looks neat (haven't heard anything about receiving that yet but its only been a week or so and the holidays are here). I also recall reading that DVDFab uses ffmpeg on the back end for transcoding now which is what handbrake uses so it should be awesome.

To my surprise though, that isn't the case. Most of the video conversions fail for me. I don't mean fail as in it doesn't proceed but I mean fail as in some sort of issue. For example:

I downloaded one of the blender open movie projects "big buck bunny" just to play around with the new software, from here actually if you want to try, converted it to an mkv with aac audio and each time i converted it it gets all pixely starting when the rabbit first walks off the screen and then in spots for the rest of the movie. After a few tries on my work's mac book pro i decided to go home and give it a shot on mine. Same exact issues starting in the same exact spot. So at this point I'm thinking its gotta be the downloaded file. I run the same conversion with handbrake on both and they are perfect. How come?

Anything I need to do that includes trancoding wether it is video file to video file or dvd to video file is very hit or miss and usually has to be done a few times before i get a good result. This is probably the biggest issue for me.

I would probably say my only other big issue, is that there are a lot of times DVDFab hangs and there is no progress indicator or time remaining count down. I tried to convert a DVD to a mkv and it showed progress for the first few step and on the last one just hung. A few hours later it said it was done but my movie file was 0 bytes. Ugh.

But I still think DVDFab is great and will continue using it (but use handbrake for the conversion until DVDFabs gets a bit more reliable) because I know it will only get better. If anyone has had similar issues or has any tricks to get it to be a bit better i'd love to hear them.

I have done a few things I've read on forum posts such as resetting the DMA already.

Oh one more thing, for the Mac version, and this is just a personal thing, please change "setting" to "settings" on the drop down menu. I don't know why but it bothers me but I just figured I'd throw in the request.

Thank you,

Nate
      I feel your pain!! I have but dropped the Mac version and set parallels up, I run the win version is it so far has worked great!!
      For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

I did think about doing that but I really don't want to buy the Windows All-In-One also. Honestly I usually don't spend $200+ on a single piece of software and usually find an alternative but I really like DVDFab. And they stay on top of it. I personally wish the All-In-One gave you access to all three Windows/Linux/Mac because then I could at least use it in a VM while they fixed the Mac copy. :'(

Comment

Sharing your pain...

Originally posted by nomb View Post
          I did think about doing that but I really don't want to buy the Windows All-In-One also. Honestly I usually don't spend $200+ on a single piece of software and usually find an alternative but I really like DVDFab. And they stay on top of it. I personally wish the All-In-One gave you access to all three Windows/Linux/Mac because then I could at least use it in a VM while they fixed the Mac copy. :'(
          Same thing here. I bought the all-in-one Mac version but have never gotten it to work consistently. I believe they spawn processes during the conversion that are never killed. If a spawned process hangs up, all future conversions will fail mysteriously. After rebooting the Mac, things seem to work again unless I hit one of the many problems:

1) Cinavia protected disks cause a hang.
          2) Blu-Rays are not recognized when inserted in a drive
          3) Random hangs during conversions

I know the usual approach is to upload the log files but I don't see anything in the log files that would help debug the problems.

I've been using the PC version to copy Blu-Rays to disk and then the Mac version is able to burn backups. I still don't know why the Mac version has so much trouble reading the Blu-Rays.

Comment

For me it's the same thing dvdfab mac never really worked well and is very unstable ... I bought dvdfab mac for support the development team and I have lifetime subscription. I also hope that the next version will be more stable and accomplished because I did not want to go under parallels desktop to compress ...
            Is the upgrade dvdfab dvdfab 8 to 9 will be free? We keep the lifetime subscription? Because so far I do not hide my disappointment considering what I paid and the services dvdfab 8 does not make unfortunately ...
            Excuse my broken English I used google;-)
            Imac core i5 2.8 27 '' - 12 Go DDR - Ati radeon HD 5750 1024 MB - Osx 10.8.2 - Bluray / HDDVD : LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L - No antivirus

Comment

i agree with you all... i bought the lifetime subscription bundle for MAC considering the windows version is a superb application....

but since it first came out and until now... its been very disappointing...

everything i done is a hit n miss.... sometimes it works... and mostly not...

now i heard that they gonna release version 9, i really hope that this is it.... the perfectly working application that can be use just like the windows version..

Comment

Originally posted by danxtian View Post
                i agree with you all... i bought the lifetime subscription bundle for MAC considering the windows version is a superb application....

but since it first came out and until now... its been very disappointing...

everything i done is a hit n miss.... sometimes it works... and mostly not...

now i heard that they gonna release version 9, i really hope that this is it.... the perfectly working application that can be use just like the windows version..
                That depends on if they finally make a native Mac application. I doubt they would do this. I think their new version if probably a Java-based app with a redesigned GUI. The DVD read/write/decryption is probably unchanged.
                I believe their problem is with the Mac DVD drivers since there is no native support for Blu-Ray. That means they needed to develop their own Mac driver for the DVD reader/burner. This driver is likely unique to the Mac which is why only the Mac version of the software seems to suffer from these many glitches. Of course, they have a PC version of their driver that seems to work -- so I'm not sure why the Mac version has so many problems.

Comment

so... we're screwed.... we paid a lot of money for a not fully functional software... or a clone of a software..

Comment

Hi, MacFabUser

1) Cinavia protected disks cause a hang.
                    2) Blu-Rays are not recognized when inserted in a drive
                    3) Random hangs during conversions
                    For 1), please update to the latest build 8224 and have a try, we have update for the Cinavia disc.
                    For 2), Does your Mac machine have a internal DVD-ROM? If have, please insert a DVD disc in it, connect your external Blu-ray driver and insert BD disc in it, then open DVDFab.
                    For 3), please give us more info.

Wilson
                    Please post your logs the default location is:
                    For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                    For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                    If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Boy I wish I had read the forums first before shelling out my hard earned cash. I posted in another thread that I have not had it Rip a single DVD successfully after being a many years supporter of DVDFab on Windows, along with selling many copies for them to friends. Can't say the same for the MAC version, I hope it gets fixed or else I will be asking for my money back as the product is clearly not a viable offering.

Comment

Well I am glad it isn't just me that is having issues. I, like everyone else, am waiting on v9 release. Wish we would get some details about it.

Comment

Originally posted by kuduboet View Post
                          Boy I wish I had read the forums first before shelling out my hard earned cash. I posted in another thread that I have not had it Rip a single DVD successfully after being a many years supporter of DVDFab on Windows, along with selling many copies for them to friends. Can't say the same for the MAC version, I hope it gets fixed or else I will be asking for my money back as the product is clearly not a viable offering.
                          Not to be mean or anything but you it did have a 30 day trial same as the windows version didn't you try it first before buying it I would have.

Comment

Working...
                          X