Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Resolution always wrong, seems to be NTSC instead of PAL

Hi,

I hope someone can help me here. DVDFab always gives me the wrong video size. I need 720x576 for German PAL DVDs but DVDFab defaults to 720x406. I manually added the resolution 720x576 to Apple TV 3 since I would like to rip normal DVD to ATV3 in SD, but no way when I like to select this resolution it always shows me the other one. This also happens with ATV2 or any other possibility I tried. All my disks are PAL DVDs, nothing else.

I would appreciate any help here, because like that I spent a lot of money for nothing.

Regards
    Oliver

My guess is autocropping is on and giving you this frame resolution. In common settings select conversion and uncheck this box and see if it helps.
    Attached Files
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Also you may be being confused or tricked by Anamorpic DVD's.

They will show a resolution of 720 x 576 (which is 4:3) although the actual title is 720 x 400 (ish, can be 396, 400, 404,.....). A quite common authoring mistake would be to manually add the black bars for letterboxing .

This was quite common on DVD's when they did not know whether the output would be to a 4:3 or 16:9 TV's. There is quite a bit that you can research on the Internet on this subject, if you have further concerns.

BluRays should not be anamorphic.

Is your title 4:3 or 16:9?

As my good friend 90312 also suggested, cropping could be trimming out the manual letterboxing (black bars) which add no value and actually take up extra file space when encoded.
      Last edited by GregiBoy; 05-17-2013, 07:33 PM.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Hi,

thanks for your help. The cropping switch was on, but did not change anything. But obviously you where right with this letterbox handling. When watching the Film on a 16:9 Television everything is OK. The Film was 16:9 too, to this is ok. Thanks for your explanations here.

One more question, I am not sure if I should open another thread for that.
        Sometimes (one to many times during a 45 min episode) the sound suddenly stops and keeps repeating the last second while the video continues. When switching to Fast Forward on my ATV and directly pressing play again everything is ok. When rewinding mostly this does not happen a second time. This happens only with films encoded with DVDFab.
        Furthermore the the video gets choppy (please excuse if this is the wrong word, english is not my native language) if there is a lot of action on the screen, any idea how to prevent that? Before I used elgato Turbo.246 hd for encoding and never had this problems.
        Any suggestions on these issues?

Thanks

Comment

You have to close the program and restart it for the autocrop setting to take effect.
          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

I have seen this happen when the file is played across a wirless network.

1. How is your ATV connected
            2. Play the file locally on your PC and see if the problems show.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

My ATV is connected via WLan, but this is not the reason, the connection is very good and I experience no connection problems at all. This also only happens with DVDFab encoded material.

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
                You have to close the program and restart it for the autocrop setting to take effect.
                Yeah, this is something DVDFab does automatically for me. In the middle of encoding it suddenly shuts down and my Mac tells me that DVDFab closed unexpectedly. That is why every time I change a setting I end DVDFab to be sure it is still there after a crash. I was about to open a new thread for the crashes.

Comment

Working...
                X