Copy speed on OS X 9.3.1.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy speed on OS X 9.3.1.2

I've been using DVDFab 9 for over a year and have just noticed a problem. With 9.3.1.2 and the previous version I've noticed that my copy speeds has dropped down to around the 2.5 / 3 MB/s range regardless of the source media.

At first I thought it was my Samsung BD drive but using, for example, ddrescue(1) I get read speeds from the drive of around 8 MB/s. I've also tried reading an ISO direct from a local (SSD) drive and again the 'Copying BluRay' speed hovers around the 2.5 / 3 MBs range with a an estimated time for a BD50 of around hours. Previously I could read from the BD drive at an average of 8 MB /s which suggests that a bottleneck has been introduced in DVDFab somewhere.

My following observation is not from version 9312 but may contribute a bit...

I haven't installed 9312 yet. Even for those few more versions on Mac prior to 9312 that run at 8Mb/s (confirmed your finding too), I thought it was still slower than it's counter part on Windows. My previous test discovered that 40+GB movie took 40~45min to output an ISO image on Windows XP while it took 90~105min to complete its ISO locally on Mac HDD.

It is probably due to the fact that DVdfab bluray copy is still running at 32bits on Mac while all other applications on Mac usually work on 64bit bus.

Comment

@mymovie,

I think you might be describing a slightly different problem. My drive reads a BD at an average of around 9500 kB/s using something like ddrescue(1). With previous versions of DVDFab this translated to a rip speed of around 8 mb / sec.
      What I'm seeing now is that the speed of DVDFab is no higher than 2.5 / 3 MB /s regardless of the source, so whether reading an ISO direct from an SSD or from a BD drive suggesting that something has changed in DVDfab that is throttling the performance. Previous versions worked fine at around the maximum throughput of the source media

Comment

Yet, there must be something wrong in the apps. Any others experience the same issue at 9312?

Right now, this speed performance issue together with another thread about fail-to-fallback, I almost lost my confidence in this new update. I'd rather stay at 9311B.
        Last edited by mymovie; 08-26-2016, 12:40 PM.

Comment

It happened today I upgraded to 9312. While backup movie "now you see me 2", the copying bluray speed is same as running in 9311B, ie 8.97MB/s.

Comment

Well, though the Bluray copy speed (~9MB/s) is same as previous version and the iso creation speed is 28x (or 33MB/s), it doesn't make any difference comparing to 9311B in my case apparently.

However, the total time to complete Bluray copy required 80~85min plus iso creation by another 20~25min make it almost 2 hrs for an iso image coming out onto my local iMAC HDD. This doesn't make me happy when comparing to its counter part in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by mymovie View Post
              Well, though the Bluray copy speed (~9MB/s) is same as previous version and the iso creation speed is 28x (or 33MB/s), it doesn't make any difference comparing to 9311B in my case apparently.

However, the total time to complete Bluray copy required 80~85min plus iso creation by another 20~25min make it almost 2 hrs for an iso image coming out onto my local iMAC HDD. This doesn't make me happy when comparing to its counter part in Windows.
              Try the tips in post #5 -
              <span style="color:blue"><b><span style="color:red"></b></span>

Might also check your bluray drive for a firmware update.
              Last edited by october262; 08-27-2016, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post
                Try the tips in post #5 -
                <span style="color:blue"><b><span style="color:red"></b></span>

Might also check your bluray drive for a firmware update.
                Thanks for hint.

though the thread quoted referred to Windows version of DVdFaB, point 3 of #5 suggestion to uncheck "Enable read-ahead cache" is still worth to try. But our Mac version doesn't have luxury to have option switching I/O mode from auto to SPTI.

Comment

Originally posted by mymovie View Post
                  Thanks for hint.

though the thread quoted referred to Windows version of DVdFaB, point 3 of #5 suggestion to uncheck "Enable read-ahead cache" is still worth to try. But our Mac version doesn't have luxury to have option switching I/O mode from auto to SPTI.

Am trying again using 1) uncheck "enable read-ahead cache" checkbox, and 2) hide DVDFAB9 appli action by minimize the apps.

However, the bluray copy speed is still around 8.92MB/s so far... No improvement.

Comment

There's another setting you can check which is to reset DMA - http://www.dvdfab.cn/manual/settings/General
                    Then try Uninstalling your drives, restart computer and let computer reinstall the drives.

Comment

Tks for advice.

But I m curious about the benchmark of creating iso using DvdFad on Mac. In fact, day one I bought dvdfab9 on Mac two months ago was still around the same speed. Comparing to its Windows counter part of about 45min to complete an iso image on my XP, the above mentioned remedial actions, I believe, can't save 1 hour time, right.

2hrs on Mac vs less than 1 hr on XP, that truly reflects the programme not optimized effectively on MAC, in which 32bit operation on MAC is just one of issue...

Comment

The last thing I can think of is to GOOGLE the word " riplock "
                        Many dvd drives are now using this feature

Comment

Working...
                        X