Run Multiple Concurrent Copy / Rippers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run Multiple Concurrent Copy / Rippers

All: I'm trying to run multiple, concurrent copy operations, on MacOS with DVDFab 10.0.6.5. Not having much luck. ANY help with a description of a) the process to run multiple concurrent copy operations on MacOS - and/or updated MacOS command line switches - would be highly appreciated. I've scoured the forums and documentation for help on this, please point me in the right direction if I've just missed it...

Environment is: [3] Pioneer BD-RW BDR-XS06 Drives, Late 2016 MacBook Pro - fully configured, MacOS 10.13.2. All Drives connected via USB3 cables to a TB 5K monitor (power is not an issue).

Behavior, no matter how I configure - is the copys execute serially. DVDFab10 recognizes the three drives, the three volumnes, inspects them (serially by drive number), I can submit them all at once - but they run serially. "Allow Running Multiple Instances" is checked. I've limited cores to 2 in case each instance tries to grab all 8 cores.

I have discovered the document - commandline.txt - but it is quite dated, and only gives examples in Windows form. In particular at the moment - the form of the file declaration is needed "/dev/drive2" or "/Volumes/12345678" or something else?

Thank you!

Other Keywords for the Search Engine: Parallel Asynchronous

see here - http://blog.dvdfab.cn/dvdfab-10-allo...currently.html

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post
      october262 - thank you for the reply. Yes, I saw that page - it processes jobs sequentially in a queue. Look at the last screenshot on that page, and you will note the second thread is "wait in queue". The Queue is great, but its not what I'm looking to do - which is run several copy or ripping sessions concurrently.

I have the compute power, IO, storage, and readers I need... Whats driving this, is that one of my three 400 disk DVD Players failed, and I figure its time to simply digitize the 1000+ Kids DVDs I have and serve them up throughout the house. I have two disabled children, who without the lockout features of the Multi-Disk DVD players, would have destroyed all the disks...

Comment

try clicking common settings - then in the general settings area check " allow running multiple instances of dvdfab "
        here in post #5 explains what it dose - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...-configuration

Comment

Originally posted by october262 View Post
          try clicking common settings - then in the general settings area check " allow running multiple instances of dvdfab "
          here in post #5 explains what it dose - https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/dvdfab...-configuration
          Thats checked, its where I started. As has been observed in other posts, even when you have two instances running, they compete for access to drives and essentially screw each other up. What I have not tried yet, is starting three instances without any content loaded, then once each instance is up using [ Preferences --> Drives ] to lock a single drive to a single instance of DVDFab.

There is still the issue of the instances sharing the configuration data, but I'm hoping the local instance will override whats in the configuration files - and not "write through" to the other instances through the config files (when I turn off Drive A on Instance 1, Drive A is turned off on Instance 2 and 3...

This might explain a bit more about my want for documentation on the command line options. Some of this is done and working - the license screen does not show up when invoked from the command line for instance.

october262 - I appreciate your help, lets see if we can learn how to do this and get it documented so others can use it.

Comment

Additional testing shows mutliple concurrent instances of FULL DISK COPY did not work.

Short answer is that you can use "open" to create a separate instance, which works until it is time to write the ISO to disk. The first instance to finish reading first - will write, the subsequent concurrent instances will hang. Also notable - the competition for IO and access during the initialization process in the main window of each isntance and obviously reads all the drives - runs for a very long time, up to 10 minutes per disk.

Basic Method for three drives:
            -- With "allow running multiple instances of DVDFab" checked:
            -- Load content disks to three drives prior to opening DVDFab
            -- From the terminal window - open three instances of DVDFab:
            -- "open -n "/Applications/DVDFab\ 10.app"
            -- Assign unique output names to each output instance.
            -- Wait for all disks to be recognized/initialized in all main windows (three)
            -- in each main window, disable two of the three Copy Actions, such that each instance has a unique copy action selected
            -- Frist instance finisheds and writes ISO
            -- Second and Third instances hang.

Once I figure out the correct syntax for the command line (any help here?), I'll try this again. But give where and how the concurrent instances hang, I don't think this will work either.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMac89 View Post
              Additional testing shows mutliple concurrent instances of FULL DISK COPY did not work.

Short answer is that you can use "open" to create a separate instance, which works until it is time to write the ISO to disk. The first instance to finish reading first - will write, the subsequent concurrent instances will hang. Also notable - the competition for IO and access during the initialization process in the main window of each isntance and obviously reads all the drives - runs for a very long time, up to 10 minutes per disk.

Basic Method for three drives:
              -- With "allow running multiple instances of DVDFab" checked:
              -- Load content disks to three drives prior to opening DVDFab
              -- From the terminal window - open three instances of DVDFab:
              -- Assign unique output names to each output instance.
              -- Wait for all disks to be recognized/initialized in all main windows (three)
              -- in each main window, disable two of the three Copy Actions, such that each instance has a unique copy action selected
              -- Frist instance finisheds and writes ISO
              -- Second and Third instances hang.

Once I figure out the correct syntax for the command line (any help here?), I'll try this again. But give where and how the concurrent instances hang, I don't think this will work either.
              Hello,

Thank you for the detailed info, I have forwarded the problem to our developers.

Regards,
              mona

Comment

UPDATE》》

Please use this command "open -n "/Applications/DVDFab 11.app" to run multiple DVDFab for mac, it will work now.

Comment

Working...
                X