Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDR10 encoding 18 times slower than Compressor !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDR10 encoding 18 times slower than Compressor !!!

Although DVDFab 12.0.1.0 is supposed to be able to use hardware acceleration for H265 encoding via Videotoolbox, it does not work for 10bit files.
    This means that the converter is unusable on Mac for HDR files (which is the main reason why I purchased DVDFab for Mac).

I made all testing using my 2018 13" MacBook Pro, which has a 4 core 2.7 GHz i7 CPU and an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 (integrated) GPU.
    I used "Fast encoding" in both DVDFab and Compressor,and made sure VideoToolbox was selected for H265 encoding in DVDFab 12's settings.
    For Windows 10, the Mac was using WIndows 10 natively, booted from an external USB 3 SSD.

As an example, compressing a 96GB HDR10 movie into a smaller ca. 20GB HDR10 file takes:
    - in Windows 10 with DVDFab 11 : 2 hours and 50 minutes, (the HDR10 metadata was wrong in the resulting file)
    - in Big Sur with Apple Compressor 4.5 : 1 hour and 40 minutes, (file looking good and correct HDR10 metadata, which you have to manually input, and is not yet recognized by MediaInfo, but is by my HDFury Vertex and my LG OLED TV, which is all that matters! Compressor only takes MP4s or Quicktime files as input and output, so there is some remuxing involved, but that is very quick )
    - in Big Sur with DVDFab 12.0.1.0, about 30 hours, (I only converted a 22 second extract - tested with both the converter and the ripper, the ripper was even slower and would be 37 hours)

So, although 10bit H265 encoding can be accelerated on my Mac, DVDFab 12.0.1.0 does not use it.
    This makes it unusable for HDR10 video compression.

Hope this can be addressed

Comment

Is this being looked at?

Comment

Working...
      X