Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial Thoughts

Yay! I'm able to post now!

I (excitedly) installed on Monday. I won't belabor points already raised, beyond a brief mention.
    It doesn't play DVD directories
    It keeps popping up the registration screen
    The buttons on the top apparently are Boss buttons (When the Boss comes by at work, you can auto-crash the app and look busy. See it's a feature!)
    1. The interface is spare. Actually, it's too spare. Not a menu to be seen. I'd at least like to see my Settings on the main screen.
    2. It looks like it will work really well in an HTPC environment, with its large fonts and icons.
    3. Where do I configure my settings?
    4. It doesn't remember the directory I was just in. This may be good for some, but it's annoying for me. I would like to see my media directory, not C:/. This should be configurable in the settings.
    5. How do I check for updates? Will it auto-update or something? Where can I set this? (Where are the settings?)
    6. The Play controls are a bit - minimalistic. One thing I like about (one of the other players) is its ability to go from 32x in reverse to 32x forward. And, it will play the sound up to 2x forward, I like that a lot.
    7. I also want to be able to pause the movie, and then advance (or rewind) one frame at a time. There should be a way to make that go a bit faster (sometimes you might be 50 frames from where you want to be), but still go one frame at a time. Then freeze it. Then take a screenshot, getting that action shot "just so," or capturing that boom mic, or that slip in the editing, or whatever.
    8. How do I jump to the root menu? It's not at all clear. That should be an easy and clear menu item. And it should ALWAYS work! I hate when movie companies, attempting to control how I watch my movies in my own home(!!!), won't let me skip to the disc menu. I HAVE to watch their blasted previews and ads. I can press the chapter forward button, but not everyone knows that, and it's still annoying - I just want to see the menu!
    9. I haven't tested this yet - does it skip FBI and Interpol warnings, or at least allow us to? I know the studios want us to read those every time we watch a movie, but I would rather just watch the blinkin' movie already! I hope that we can skip those.
    10. I noticed with some interest that this is based on the GPL license. How much of this is based on open-source code, I wonder? There are some pretty good HTPC players out there, that are open source. It would make a very good starting point, if you don't mind the GPL license.

I like the DVDFab products, and I expect these issues to be ironed out pretty quickly, but I must confess to some disappointment. It seems to have been released a bit prematurely.

J Fischer

Hi J Fischer :
    Thanks for your suggestion and view. Some questions is in my to do list, some are not.
    For improving our new product, some question need your help:
    3. What's confiure settings? Do you want the Parental Controls?
    5. The update logic is automation. Fab Player will inform you when a new version is out.
    But now you can't set anything. It is a to do work.
    9. If you want playback the main movie only, and no FBI and warning, you can use the playlist mode which is named Quick & Simple Mode. Please use it when an ISO or BD disc is opening.
    Any idea please ping us, we will update the new product quickly.

Thanks,
    Potti

Comment

Originally posted by Potti View Post
      Hi J Fischer :
      Thanks for your suggestion and view. Some questions is in my to do list, some are not.
      For improving our new product, some question need your help:
      3. What's configure settings? Do you want the Parental Controls?

Thanks,
      Potti
      Thanks for the update. Most of the items in the Settings menu that I have thought through at least a little bit were mentioned in later items. I do have little kids, but Parental Controls aren't a huge issue for me right now.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X