BD-5 won't play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD-5 won't play

I can't play my own home-made BD-5 movies in DVDFab Media Player even though they play on a hardware player.

This is a big, long post, but the point is that I want to be able to watch .iso of my home movie AVCHD discs in a software media player. Since the trial version of DVDFab Media Player doesn't play my discs, not going to buy it. Hoping I can get advice on how to fix my configuration so DVDFab MP plays my videos, then I'll buy it.

I figure DVDFab MP should be the most forgiving and flexible of any available and play anything that has audio and video streams buried inside of it, and most certainly play anything that a hardware player can play. I assume it plays BD-5 shrunken copies of of BD discs created with DVDFab Blu-Ray copy, right? How about BD-5 made with Handbrake? Any experience from other users playing these ISOs or actual discs?

I have made several (strict) AVCHD discs which play fine in my LG BD603 which it recognizes as AVCHD. But these movies cannot play in the DVDFab media player: whether trying to play the disc in the DVD drive, or trying to open and play the .iso directly, or trying to play the .iso mounted as a BD-ROM drive using Virtual Clone Drive. It is simply not recognized as a valid format.

As an experiment, I re-authored a BD-5 as Blu-Ray content instead of AVCHD content. The LG player recognized it as Blu-Ray Disc and played it (though it only works 3 times out of 4 and the drive makes feverish grinding noises for a long time before finally recognizing it--compared to recognizing the AVCHD disc right away).

When mounting that blu-ray .iso as a virtual BD-ROM, DVDFab Player got slightly farther--it shows me a thumbnail of the main title and a thumbnail of the menu, but could not actually play the clips.

It is disheartening that I can make movies that play in a hardware player, but I can't watch them on the computer which made them. Especially the virtually mounted ISO of the blu-ray disc version!

I suppose this is a problem with the encoding, or file structure, which the hardware player is more forgiving of? Maybe I could switch from multiAVCHD to Handbrake or Sony DVD Architect to render the BD-ROM .iso instead of multiAVCHD? But I don't really want to create Blu-Ray, I want to create AVCHD, since it supposedly will be compatible with more players.

Please, some advice? Thanks.

The AVCHD format has a different file structure to Blu-ray discs. I'm not sure if DVDFab Media Player has been coded to support this format yet...

Cheers
    I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
    I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

I had that trouble before in settings under blu-ray copy you can change it to a avchd format that is softwear player friendly. I hope this helps fab media player plays mine fine.
      Originally posted by max.db View Post
      I can't play my own home-made BD-5 movies in DVDFab Media Player even though they play on a hardware player.

This is a big, long post, but the point is that I want to be able to watch .iso of my home movie AVCHD discs in a software media player. Since the trial version of DVDFab Media Player doesn't play my discs, not going to buy it. Hoping I can get advice on how to fix my configuration so DVDFab MP plays my videos, then I'll buy it.

I figure DVDFab MP should be the most forgiving and flexible of any available and play anything that has audio and video streams buried inside of it, and most certainly play anything that a hardware player can play. I assume it plays BD-5 shrunken copies of of BD discs created with DVDFab Blu-Ray copy, right? How about BD-5 made with Handbrake? Any experience from other users playing these ISOs or actual discs?

I have made several (strict) AVCHD discs which play fine in my LG BD603 which it recognizes as AVCHD. But these movies cannot play in the DVDFab media player: whether trying to play the disc in the DVD drive, or trying to open and play the .iso directly, or trying to play the .iso mounted as a BD-ROM drive using Virtual Clone Drive. It is simply not recognized as a valid format.

As an experiment, I re-authored a BD-5 as Blu-Ray content instead of AVCHD content. The LG player recognized it as Blu-Ray Disc and played it (though it only works 3 times out of 4 and the drive makes feverish grinding noises for a long time before finally recognizing it--compared to recognizing the AVCHD disc right away).

When mounting that blu-ray .iso as a virtual BD-ROM, DVDFab Player got slightly farther--it shows me a thumbnail of the main title and a thumbnail of the menu, but could not actually play the clips.

It is disheartening that I can make movies that play in a hardware player, but I can't watch them on the computer which made them. Especially the virtually mounted ISO of the blu-ray disc version!

I suppose this is a problem with the encoding, or file structure, which the hardware player is more forgiving of? Maybe I could switch from multiAVCHD to Handbrake or Sony DVD Architect to render the BD-ROM .iso instead of multiAVCHD? But I don't really want to create Blu-Ray, I want to create AVCHD, since it supposedly will be compatible with more players.

Please, some advice? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by csbond2 View Post
        I had that trouble before in settings under blu-ray copy you can change it to a avchd format that is softwear player friendly. I hope this helps fab media player plays mine fine.
        Thanks, that's good to know. I will next try Handbrake and/or DVD Architect. I could also rip and shrink a BD movie with DVDFab trial, and test resulting BD-5.

Also, today I just got a BD burner so I can try on BD-R media. About a buck a disc, only a little more than DL DVD.

Also, I've been using DVD+R contrary to advice on the web to use DVD-R. But, the LG player doesn't seem to care...

Comment

Working...
        X