3D Mode Comment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Mode Comment

I just found out my Blu-Ray drive came with PowerDVD 12. It advertises being able to play 3D disks. I have a 3D display, with 120Hz active-shutter glasses. So, I am wanting to play 3D disks. I have a 3D disk (yes, you read that right - I have one 3D disk). I played it with PowerDVD 12, configured it for active shutter playback, and excitedly pressed the activate 3D button. It thought for a moment, and then said that it couldn't find any compatible 3D display devices.

Excuse me while I hurt somebody.

I have all-new HDMI cables that are advertised as high-speed (10.2 GHZ), 3-D capable. I am within their certified operating range. It should work. So why doesn't it work, CyberLink?

When you are creating 3D playback, it would be awesome if active shutter playback actually worked. I don't know if you need to do some kind of check to see if there is compatible equipment on the other end, or if you can just send the signal. So many of the problems today are caused by overly-zealous control freak studio mavens creating artificial business logic rules that prevent things from working - unless you are standing on your head, it's raining, and it's a blue-moon at midnight.

I am hoping that you, DVDFab, can succeed where Cyberlink apparently has failed. *grumble*

My cable supports the following HDMI features:
    • 1080p Resolution
    • Audio Return Channel
    • 3D
    • Deep Color
    • x.v.Color
    • High Definition Audio

I ran some more tests. But first, here is my setup:
    I have an HTPC (Win7 x64, Intel Core i3, ATI GPU).
    I have an audio-video receiver (AVR) that is 1.3 capable. In other words, it can handle all the sound formats, but it can't do 3D.
    I have a 3D projector (a Panasonic).
    I have two (2) HDMI cables coming out of my HTPC. One runs to my AVR, one runs to my projector.

The AVR cable run comes out of the mini-DP port, and goes through a mini-DP to HDMI converter. The converter passes all sound data through (this obviously works, as I get full bitstream sound). The projector cable run comes out of the HDMI port.

For some reason, Windows always wants to set my default sound device to the projector, which has no speakers. Every time I turn on the projector, there goes my default sound device. I have tried to override this behaviour in FabMP, but not had any success.

My video card (ATI HD7770 1GB DDR5 by Gigabyte, Rev2) correctly displays two devices attached to the card: My projector (which is incorrectly listed as being on DVI) and my receiver (which is incorrectly listed as being on HDMI). Despite incorrectly listing which port they are on (anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?), it does correctly identify both of them.

PowerDVD latches on to the one item (my AVR) being listed as HDMI, and then (correctly) determines that it is not 3D. If I unplug the receiver, leaving only the projector, PowerDVD correctly ID's the projector, but still displays it as not being 3D capable. Which is dead wrong.

I put in all this detail, so you can see my (admittedly probably somewhat unusual) setup. Hopefully it will give you some clues and ideas on what to do to get FabMP to work.

Comment

Working...
    X