which media player is for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which media player is for me?

Originally i was contemplating a BD player and just cataloguing my discs like I've been doing. Im up to about 600 movies so far.

THen, I started thinking about building a custom PC for playback and hooking external HD's to it for storage and playback, nixing the disc storage.

I started to hear a lot about media players.. My problem is the ones I've been seeing are 2-8TB of storage max. That is absolutely laughable to me, having so many movies and hundreds upon hundreds of movies at my disposal to be able to load onto disc.

I'm looking for something that can hold at least 1,400 movies, many in blue ray.

I'm guessing I am going to need about 50-80 TB of storage. I'm not going to just go out and buy 10 media players..

Can anyone recommend a setup for me that can hold this much data and allow seamless play in 1080 BD50?

Originally posted by nmrecording View Post
    Can anyone recommend a setup for me that can hold this much data and allow seamless play in 1080 BD50?
    Not sure what you are looking for, or what your budget is, but you should look at getting a NAS, or maybe even a SAN. That's a lot of discs to rip and store.

I would recommend a NAS in a networked, RAID6 configuration. You will need ... several. Unless you look at some specialized, non-consumer/pro-sumer systems, like Avigilon. Avigilon is used by large corporations and governments around the world. And they have a price tag to match. But, I have seen them in configurations up to 500TB - which is large enough to suit your needs... :-) However, you will be shelling out 5-figures in US$ for what you are looking for. If your budget is less rarified, you will want to look at something more consumer oriented.

You might also want to look at Dell's NAS units, assuming you can afford...

Comment

Working...
    X