Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDR is not displayed correctly in v3.2.0.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDR is not displayed correctly in v3.2.0.0?

Hi DVDFab team,

v3.2.0.0 is claimed to support HDR and I don't have the opportunity to properly try it yet, but some users on Reddit who did report the following:

"So looking for a better alternative to PowerDVD due to the DRM requirements. I went ahead and tried this, firstly... it didn't automatically use any hardware decoding for audio/video. So I had to turn that on. Secondly, HDR is enabled in the app settings and set to Auto (not HDR to SDR). But I don't believe it's true HDR. Using other HDR capable software such as PowerDVD/Movies & TV/MediaPC with madVR and actual Blu-ray Players, the whites in DVDFab are overblown. At first glance it appears the colors are OK. But it's not right, you don't even need to enable the HDR feature in the Creators update which allows every other application to output HDR that HDR has worked in thusfar.

Also DVDFab doesn't appear to be doing any exclusivity for display output which typically is required for HDR. As well as DVDFab doesn't appear to be doing any refresh rate change on full screen. The TV is still reporting 60p instead of 24p.

GTX 1070."

Is this true? DvdFab does not output true HDR?

Any update on this?

Comment

From my experience with the newer version it seems it's real hdr indeed.
      The problem with HDR is that many people have no idea what is should look like so the only thing they have to compare are other softwares.

HDR doesn't need exclusive full screen to work.
      Also, changing 60 to 24p output has nothing to do with HDR.

If I start a movie with DVDFab while having Nvidia settings to auto and my tv EDID set to bluray it will start into HDR mode but sometimes it won't work.

What I do here is force YPbPr 422 (12bits) for some reason my tv can't accept 10 bits. And I enable hdr within windows.
      If you want some proof that hdr is really kicking besides just the VGA sending the HDR flag just look at any windows wallpaper. You will see that when you toggle the switch you have washed colors, when you alt+tab from the movie it will be different with vibrant colors while still in HDR.
      And windows is not trying to fool you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fandangos View Post
        From my experience with the newer version it seems it's real hdr indeed.
        The problem with HDR is that many people have no idea what is should look like so the only thing they have to compare are other softwares.

HDR doesn't need exclusive full screen to work.
        Also, changing 60 to 24p output has nothing to do with HDR.

If I start a movie with DVDFab while having Nvidia settings to auto and my tv EDID set to bluray it will start into HDR mode but sometimes it won't work.

What I do here is force YPbPr 422 (12bits) for some reason my tv can't accept 10 bits. And I enable hdr within windows.
        If you want some proof that hdr is really kicking besides just the VGA sending the HDR flag just look at any windows wallpaper. You will see that when you toggle the switch you have washed colors, when you alt+tab from the movie it will be different with vibrant colors while still in HDR.
        And windows is not trying to fool you.
        Thanks for your input. But I think PowerDVD/Movies & TV/actual Blu-ray Players should output the correct HDR, so if DVDFab's HDR is different from them, there's sth wrong here. Have you tested the HDR output between different players? Are they the same or different?

Comment

HDR appears to work well for me with my LG TV as the display monitor. The only odd thing I have noticed is that when I push stop and exit DVDFab Media Player, the display still has HDR on. Relaunching DVDFab Media Player will turn HDR off, at which point I can exit the application. HDR should be turned off the first time when pressing stop and exiting.

Comment

Originally posted by dgray View Post
            HDR appears to work well for me with my LG TV as the display monitor. The only odd thing I have noticed is that when I push stop and exit DVDFab Media Player, the display still has HDR on. Relaunching DVDFab Media Player will turn HDR off, at which point I can exit the application. HDR should be turned off the first time when pressing stop and exiting.
            Also, is the hdr output by DVDFab the same as the hrd when you play the video directly from USB/external hard drive using TV app or bluray player? If it is the same then DVDFab outputs correct HDR.

Comment

Originally posted by vmd12 View Post
              As well as DVDFab doesn't appear to be doing any refresh rate change on full screen. The TV is still reporting 60p instead of 24p.
              Yes, confirmed, outgoing signal 60p instead of 24p.

Comment

Can we have a statement from DVDFab team please?

Comment

Working...
                X