Unhandled Extension Handler Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request Unhandled Extension Handler Finder

I have some *.iso files are are ISO compiled from my original DVD movie disks. And I also have some *.iso files that are NOT media based but are still iso files. For example I also have ISO files of all my various original operating system setup disks and many program utilities etc. I use DVDFab media player to play my media types as well as those media types that were saved as ISOs.

Because of this every time I list or view lists of files, the ISO file types are shown as "Unhandled Extension Handler Finder. I believe is because I set DVDFab media player as my default media player ISO files. I guess the problem is that I have ISO files that need to be linked to a default kind of application (like restoring a windows operating setup disk to burn a copy of that iso to disk, and then another type of application that also has the *.iso extension but is being used to play back that iso to watch a movie. One type for burning an ISO back to it's original disk medium but the other type is actually playing that compiled ISO copy of the original DVD movie disk. The problem is both differently handled applications share the same extension which is *.ISO.

Everything works okay .. I just have to remember to use the "Open with" option when doing an actual "burn to disk medium" to create a copy of the original from it's ISO file. I have to leave the Movie iso as the default in order to have DVDFab media player start and play the DVD ISO files.

I'm thinking this can not be solved. But wonder what others are doing with this situation or if anyone has any suggestions.

- Rich A

You can change the file extension on your OS and application iso's from .iso to .mda (disk image file) then change the program to open them with. Leave your movies as .iso and other than movies as .MDA.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 90312 View Post
      You can change the file extension on your OS and application iso's from .iso to .mda (disk image file) then change the program to open them with. Leave your movies as .iso and other than movies as .MDA.
      I set the non-video type extensions ( *.iso ) to MDA. They now open using ImgBurn as the default. That is fine and works for me.

I then found and reset all the video type files that in Win 10 so that any normal video type extensions opened with either a video editor app or one of the normal video player apps that did NOT have an *.iso extension. So after some configuration all my multimedia files now open with the proper application. Next I set the remaining video *.iso files to open with DVDFab player. But still no joy.

I'm halfway there I think. I went a little further and found many multi-media and non-multi-media apps that had their handlers set to DVDFab Player. For example I do a lot of video editing, and where ever there was a video file listed, it's default handler was DVDFab Player. So I changed all those (for example a video file with an extension of *.avi to open with an appropriate video editor or other app of my preference.

Normally that *.avi file would open with DVDFab Player and when the file was listed it would show that error. So I edited the extensive list of multimedia files so that each file would open with my application of choice and not DVDFab Player. That now resulted in about 30 or more multimedia files defaulting to a proper application of my choice and NO errors during any file listing. I also changed any NON-multimedia files also they all used an appropriate application other than DVDFab player and all those files no longer have any error and work fine.

So the only files left in the Windows extensions, are *.iso files that are images of my DVDs and the default application for them is DVDFab Player. . Unfortunately they all still have the error.

It's been a long time since I first installed DVDFab Player and I don't remember if there was an option during the install process, to select the files DVDFab Player will recognize as playable multimedia files ? Perhaps the only way to get this to work is to uninstall Fab Player and re-install setting only *.iso files as the only default playback device for dvdfab player? Do you know if the normal install of the Fab player has any option to choose what files are going to use the DVDFab player?

Or might there be some sort of registry entry or ini file or something with that list ? I will check the actual Fab player options when it's running to see if there are any settings where I can make the DVDFab ONLY work with *.iso files. Gotta shovel some snow now ... Ugh.

Comment

Does this help? Click image for larger version

Name:	player.png
Views:	599
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	345767
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

I tried that earlier .. even turned off every extension in DVDFab player except for ISOs . Seems that any application that has DVDFab Player set as it's default player shows that error. I guess I'll just ignore the error for now. I've been living with it for years anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X