5.0.1.1 - HDR problem and 24hz automatic switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0.1.1 - HDR problem and 24hz automatic switch

I'm on the latest Windows 10 update and using the latest DVDFab Media Player 5.0.1.1.
    Using a PC with i7 6700k and a 1080Ti.

I have nvidia set to 4k 60hz all the time and leave the chroma and dynamic range set to let it be decided by the application.
    Whenever I start a UHD BD disc it defaults to SDR.
    When I check about HDR capabilities it claims it's not available.

I have to go into windows display settings, enable HDR, and when I press to analyze my system again it detects HDR.
    Also I have to manually set 23hz for 24fps content manually, which is a pain in the ass for full discs that have the full movie in 24fps and the extras in 30fps or 60fps.
    So automatic switching would be welcome.

I also believe I know why this is happening in relation to the HDR settings.
    My TV has an option to expand HDMI bandwidth from 12Gbps to 18Gbps.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about 12Gbps is the same as HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 level A, which can output 4k at 60hz ONLY at 4:2:0 with chroma subsampling. This also means NO HDR.
    If you expand HDMI bandwidth to HDMI 2.0 level B, with 18Gbps you can get 4k at 60hz at 4:4:4 chroma or RGB 8bits. Which is the intended method for PC use.
    Since HDR needs 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 at 10 bits to be displayed and 18Gbps isn't enough for HDR at 4:4:4 or 4:4:4 at 10bits you won't get HDR this way.

The problem is that the TV change it's EDID when changing the capabilities of the HDMI interface and since DVDFab is gathering information from the EDID and the first resolution it reads as default will be 3840x2160 at 60hz 4:4:4 it will default to NOT ENABLING HDR.

This isn't a isolated case. Every TV which uses the full bandwidth of HDMI for 4:4:4 will suffer from this problem.
    In my case is a Sony XBR 900E.

I'm breaking down all the problem here and exposing where the flaw is but I can't code for you.
    Not sure if everyone will grasp the knowledge here, I know I'm being very technical about this but if I am a veterinarian and know this stuff your devs will understand it way better than I do.

We will support automatic switching in the future. Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
    Mona

Comment

Working...
    X