Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-Ray/UHD menu playback not working [v 7.0.3.5]

Hi,

In the past couple of versions of PlayerFab (definitely v 7.0.3.5 and I think also v 7.0.3.4), menu playback for blu-rays doesn't seem to be working properly for me.

I get the initial screen (on the discs I've tested the animation for something loading), and sometimes a second screen (such as a copyright notice), but then the screen just goes black and nothing plays, and PlayerFab crashes when I use the mouse to click on the window again.

I've now tested this with a couple of UHDs and a Blu-Ray, and they're all exhibiting the same behaviour.

Playback seems to work fine in Simple Mode provided I don't try skipping around on the playback bar.

Would it be possible to look into this further?

I attach the log file extract and my DXDiag (both in redacted form).

Many thanks.
    Attached Files

I will have the developer team look into it.

Comment

This problem continues with 7.0.3.6. I have only just started testing PlayerFab, and 7.0.3.5 was the first release I tested. I have 7 Blu-ray discs from 4 different companies, and NONE of them work correctly. ALL of the problems I have documented with 7.0.3.5 are still there with 7.0.3.6. I am running Windows 10, and my PlayerFab settings are to start in Menu Mode.

All of the following problems are identical when playing directly from the disc or from a DVDFab .iso file:

Four disks from some garbage company called Echo Bridge Home Entertainment: No main menu ever comes up - all four start playing the movie immediately. No top menu can ever be started, either with the mouse or Ctl+T. The Pop menu SOMETIMES does something, but it never reacts properly. On only 1 of the 4 discs does the Pop menu actually bring up a normal looking strip on the bottom of the screen where you can select languages, etc.

Jet Li, The One from Columbia Pictures/Sony: This movie SOMETIMES starts properly with the main menu, but sometimes I can see only the menu options very dim on the bottom of the screen, and the movie never responds at all. If I stop it and then re-launch the movie, it usually starts with a normal main menu, and all menu options work, but from the keyboard only - there is NO mouse support for any menu function. However, once I start playing the movie, there is no further access to any menu, either Pop or Top. If I try, I see a lot of strange flashing or the movie just freezes.

Terminator 3 from Warner Brothers: This movie will not pay at all. It totally freezes on the first Ratings screen.

Trespass from Millennium: This movie ALMOST works properly. It will usually start normally with the Main Menu, which functions properly (using keyboard ONLY). But PlayerFab regularly crashes while I am testing the menus.

Comment

This still seems to be broken in v 7.0.3.7, sadly.

Comment

Unfortunately, this still seems to be an issue in v 7.0.3.8.

Can I check whether this is still being looked into?

Thanks.

Comment

One thing I have noticed - and which I hadn't previously considered - is that this is causing big issues with TV shows. With Game of Thrones (UHD), for instance, I can use simple mode to watch the first episode on any given disc. But it also seems to fail if I try to switch to a different episode using the menu on the right side of the screen. So I effectively can't watch these episodes at present.

Is there any update on when a fix for this might be expected? I'm slightly surprised that this has been going on for a couple of months, despite multiple new versions coming out.

Anyway, thanks for your time!

Comment

I am afraid that there isn't an Estimated time available regarding this problem at the moment.

Comment

No problem. Thanks for the update anyway .

Comment

I am also Having the same problem with blu ray and 4k disc it is hit or miss whether the player works I have 7.0..4.0 I have noticed that if I use the explorer file system in the player and launching it from there the system works better. if I mount the ISO in say VCD the all the problems come back is there any command line switches I can use

Comment

Strangely, menus seem to be working for me again all of a sudden.

I'm not sure whether this was related to some sort of back-end/background Windows update (it wasn't initially working when I updated to 7.0.4.0 but now is), or whether it was to do with some changes I made to try to fix menu playback in a different piece of software.

The only change I am aware of making is installing a different version of Java (specifically jdk-8u311-windows-x64.exe and jre-8u311-windows-x64.exe​ from https://www.oracle.com/java/technolo...downloads.html ), and then making some changes in Window's System Environment Variables:
                    • Create a new variable named JAVA_HOME and make the value "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_311" (or whatever path has been used).
                    • Create a new variable for JRE_HOME and give it a value of "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_311" (or whatever path has been used).
                    • Click on the Path entry and click "Edit...", then add a new line with a value of "%JAVA_HOME%\bin"
                    ​I post this only in case it helps anyone else (assuming it hasn't started working for other people), or if it helps DVDFab to narrow down what is going with the software...
                    Last edited by RLacey; 04-30-2023, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I've tested Version 6211 32-bit and Version 7041 64-bit. Both do not work for me. Is there an external dependency to play Movies like access to a website or what could be the reason?

Comment

Ok solved it. I never knew PlayerFAB needs Java to work?!

What I did:

- downloaded JDK12 zip, extracted it and moved the jdk-12 dir to C:\jdk-12

- Windows Logo > type "advanced" > extended system properties > Environment variables:

-- added JAVA_HOME as an environment variable with C:\jdk-12 as value

-- added C:\jdk-12\bin to the already existing environment variable "path"

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	478
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	425550

- opened PowerShell as Administrator and executed (not sure why this was needed. maybe this saves a reboot?!):
                        setx -m JAVA_HOME "C:\jdk-12"

- executed this to check if java is working properly:
                        java -version

Comment

Menu playback still not working for Blu-ray/UHD even with the newest version 7.0.4.6 is this going to get resolved soon this has been an ongoing issue with this player for quite a while now since the beginning of this year and there has not been an update for this player since June. i would appreciate if this can get resolved soon. I really like the Menu Playback for this Playerfab please.

Please Advise
                          Louie

Comment

Working...
                          X