Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passkey and Drag and Drop

Hello,

If I just want to get an entire DVD disk to my hard drive to play on my media player can I just use Passkey and then just copy the ts_video folder to the hard drive???
    I have used DVDFab DVD Copy and it takes about 20 minutes to get an exact copy of the DVD, but just copying it would be much faster.

Am I missing something here?

Passkey is not a ripper it is a decrypter to be used with other software such as nero recode.
    It is not designed to be used with DVDFab.

DVD copy takes longer when doing a full disc depending on if it is doing any compression and the condition of the source disc.

Movie only is much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Baron View Post
      Passkey is not a ripper it is a decrypter to be used with other software such as nero recode.
      It is not designed to be used with DVDFab.

DVD copy takes longer when doing a full disc depending on if it is doing any compression and the condition of the source disc.

Movie only is much faster.
      thank for the reply but what I was wanting to know is if passkey can be used and then just copy the dvd to the hard drive using drag and drop.

When I said I was using DVDFAB DVD copy it was to say that I was copying the entire dvd anyway 1:1 copy and to ask how is this different than just copying the dvd folders over??? I think you misunderstood me.

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

Comment

Originally posted by bww View Post
        Does anyone know the answer to my question?
        Win 7 64-bit.

Every time I try to use Windows Explorer for such a task, I get a blu error screen in Windows. Perhaps you are more lucky?

Comment

Originally posted by Gummigutta View Post
          Win 7 64-bit.

Every time I try to use Windows Explorer for such a task, I get a blu error screen in Windows. Perhaps you are more lucky?

The operating system (Windows) has been written to not be affected by any conditions local programs create... otherwise the O/S would shut down when you end your session with whatever is running in Windows.

As a result, anything Passkey or Fab does only affects another local program... Windows still sees the DVD or BD as copy protected, and will refuse to copy it (your blue error screen, Gummigutta).

It's also why drag and drop won't work, either.

DC

Comment

Which disc? it's a bug if BSOD.

Originally posted by Gummigutta View Post
            Win 7 64-bit.

resigned

Comment

Originally posted by xubin View Post
              Which disc? it's a bug if BSOD.
              Usually get it on every disc that is "oversized" + with bad sectors.

Edit:

Did a try on the oversized + protected sectors disc "Morning Glory".

Tried to actually drag and drop the source disc to the hard disk and that works in Windows Explorer.

I think in my previous crash tries used the copy and paste command in the Windows Explorer.

Only issue is that there is a menu vob that crashes DVD Shrink when I try to open up the ripped files. If I clean up ripped files on the hard disk with FixVTS, DVD Shrink opens it up without any issues and the stuff is perfect.
              Last edited by Gummigutta; 06-20-2011, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
                The operating system (Windows) has been written to not be affected by any conditions local programs create... otherwise the O/S would shut down when you end your session with whatever is running in Windows.

As a result, anything Passkey or Fab does only affects another local program... Windows still sees the DVD or BD as copy protected, and will refuse to copy it (your blue error screen, Gummigutta).

It's also why drag and drop won't work, either.

DC

Actually passkey filters the dvd drive so drag & drop should work

Comment

Also copy + paste works with Windows Explorer. I haven't used this way of ripping for a long time, so it might have been an old problem that's got fixed. But it works as it should now.

This is the error (might be just the first one of several) I get in DVD Shrink when I open up the ripped files.

Attached is the FixVTS log file from the cleaning process, to get the ripped files to open up in DVD Shrink.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Drag and drop should work similar to how anything else works with Passkey.

However, DVDFab and Passkey use similar technology to handle the copy protection. It is unlikely that a drag/drop operation will be any faster than DVDFab Copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                      Drag and drop should work similar to how anything else works with Passkey.

However, DVDFab and Passkey use similar technology to handle the copy protection. It is unlikely that a drag/drop operation will be any faster than DVDFab Copy.
                      You are quite right the copy 1:1 using DVDFab was about the same amount of time and just using copy in Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by bww View Post
                        You are quite right the copy 1:1 using DVDFab was about the same amount of time and just using copy in Windows.
                        The "bottleneck" is usually the dvd drive, not Fab or the O.S.

Comment

Working...
                        X