install as admin
    run as admin
    show all tray icons
    refresh tray icons
    try older versions
    complete removal of all passkey files and reg entries
    reinstall (many times)
    reboot (many times)
    remove possible conflicting software (virtual drive software etc.)

- but after several hours, I still can't get passkey to run properly.

The welcome screen opens, but when I click to start passkey the icon does not appear in the notification area (it is also non existent in the list under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons).

The strange thing is that after clicking 'start', the passkey process is running according to task manager, but it definitely isn't decrypting anything. Also 'End Process' doesn't kill the process (maybe it's getting 'stuck' in the loading process?)

I've seen others having similar problems, but none of their solutions have worked for me.

Any bright ideas? I'm running Win 7 x64. I just want to run the free, lite version.

I have had passkey working in the past.

Do you have bitdefender installed?

Open up Bit Defender. Click on the Antivirus tab on the left. Then click on the Shield tab on top. Under Protection Level, click on Advanced Settings. Under Exclusions, click on the little Plus Sign (+) on the right above the list. This will let you add programs to not trigger on. I did some trials and it looks like you need to exclude DVDFabPasskey.exe which are in the DVDFAB Passkey 8 folder in Program Files. You should browse to find them.
    resigned

Comment

Thank you! I had BD AntiVirus 2009 installed as a non real-time scanner, but it was still enough to cause a conflict. I removed BD and Passkey is working perfectly.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X