Passkey no longer setting regions in PowerDVD 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Passkey no longer setting regions in PowerDVD 16

PowerDVD has had an update (I'm now using PDVD 16 Ultra version 16.0.2011), and Passkey 8.2.8.5 no longer recognises the program, and is unable to change its regions. (I'm using Windows 7 x64.)

I tried upgrading Passkey to v 9.0.0.2, but that doesn't recognise it either.

Do I need to contact tech support, or can one of the DVDFab staff here please pass it on? I'd really like to see this fixed.

In the meantime, I'll try rolling back my version of PowerDVD. I no the previous update of PDVD 16 still worked.
    A' Ghàidhlig: cleachd i no caill i!

It's OK, I logged a tech support request.

(I must be tired. How the heck did I write "I no ..." for "I know ..." in my previous post ?!!)

Comment

No, the re-installation didn't work.

I remember this same thing happened a year or so ago with PowerDVD 15 -- an update to that program stopped Passkey from being able to set the region code of the program. It was fixed by an update in Passkey.

If anyone else sees this same behaviour, I've appreciate if you'd post some details here.

Comment

Hi,

not updated yet (used 16.0.1713 now), I will try it later.

Wilson
        Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM.
        Please post your logs the default location is:
        For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
        For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
        If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

I tried upgrading Passkey to v 9.0.0.2, but that doesn't recognise it either
          Hi,

Yes, Passkey does not detect the installed PowerDVD 16, but the region code of PowerDVD 16 still could be changed by Passkey.

Wilson
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Wilson, thanks for your reply, but are you sure it's working?

What I see is this:

1) If I right-click on the Passkey icon in the system tray, go to the Region Setting option, the menu allows me to change the region, and says it has changed.
            2) But if I then launch PowerDVD, go into Settings and then Blu-ray Region, it shows that the region hasn't actually been changed.
            3) So: Passkey says it's changed, PowerDVD says it's not. A disc locked to the region Passkey claims it's been changed to will still fail to play because it's the "wrong region".

Do you have any suggestion how I should proceed with this? I tried completely uninstalling PowerDVD 16 (including user settings) and Passkey, rebooting, re-installing PowerDVD, rebooting, and re-installing Passkey. Passkey still doesn't recognise PowerDVD is installed anymore, and although it goes through the motions the region in PowerDVD still isn't actually changed.

Comment

Yes, I confirmed that Passkey could change the region code of PowerDVD 16.

I also asked the dev to add PowerDVD 16 to Passkey Blu-ray player list. Maybe you can try it again later after it added.

Wilson

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
                Yes, I confirmed that Passkey could change the region code of PowerDVD 16.
                I don't understand. How is this showing up?

Are you saying that if you change the region in the menu of the Passkey icon in the system tray, then look in the setting of PowerDVD 16, the region code of the program has changed?

Or that Passkey allows discs of a different region to play anyway in PowerDVD 16?

Which are you saying?

Maybe you can try it again later after it added.
                Do you have a timeframe for this? Or do you mean whenever the next version of Passkey is released, it might have this issue addressed?

(This is very much what happened with PowerDVD 15, when an update stopped Passkey from accessing the program, and it took DVDFab several months to even acknowledge that there was an issue.)

Comment

Hi Wilson,
                  I've upgraded Passkey to 9.0.0.3, but
                  a) it still doesn't see PowerDVD, and
                  b) it still doesn't change the region in PowerDVD itself.

For instance, in the pop-up menu from the Passkey icon in the system tray, if I change Blu-ray Player's Region to A, and then launch PowerDVD, and go into PowerDVD's settings, it still shows the region as B.

What should I do?

Do you have any idea why this isn't working, if you say it's working for you?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Okay, in the absence of any helpful response ...
                    For anyone experiencing the same issues I've been raising here, I've worked out what's happening:

Passkey v8 and v9 do not currently recognise PowerDVD 16. They do recognise previous versions of PDVD. So if PDVD16 is installed over the top of a previous version, then Passkey will continue to recognise the previous version as installed and the region-change feature will work even in PDVD16. If, however, the previous version of PDVD is uninstalled and PDVD16 is then given a clean installation, there's no previous version of PDVD for Passkey to recognise, and so the region-change feature won't work.

What broke this on my PC is that the recent update to PDVD16 requires the existing installation to be uninstalled, and for the new version to be given a clean install. (Apparently there were issues of DLL conflicts, but I can't swear to that.) So, again, there's no longer any previous version of PDVD for Passkey to recognise.

I was hesitant to do much experimenting, because Cyberlink limits the number of times you can reinstall an application before you can be locked out from activating the new installation. But perhaps this will help others who might be experiencing the same. (Although I gather that the numbers of people using Passkey specifically are comparatively small.)

Hopefully, DVDFab will get Passkey recognising PDVD16 in an update in the near future.
                    Last edited by MacEachaidh; 09-21-2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X