X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Problem With Passkey

Took your advice and tried the program.

By itself, it seems to work just fine. I used the 2002 release of The Great Race as a test DVD (mostly because the protection schemes back then weren't too severe).

Passkey opened the DVD flawlessly.

Now, we need a ripper to complete the package. I started with DVD Shrink, killed all the internal protection removal routines ( no need for them, as we now have Passkey), and fired Shrink up after the DVD had been opened. Shortly into Shrink's analysis, it reported and 'invalid DVD navigation structure', and aborted the analysis.

Well, Shrink won't work with that DVD.

Then used my current version of Fab, both with and without internal protection removal.

With protection removal still working, Fab (old) reported the same removals as Passkey, and while that info is still on the DVD, it does kinda defeat the validity of Passkey, if it still detects the protections.

I then un-ticked all the protection removal, and tried again. This time, Fab reported no protection on the DVD (as it should), but Fab (old) still showed that it removed all the unplayable cells that Passkey did. Again, I know that info is still on the DVD for Fab to find, but again, it seems to invalidate some of what Passkey is supposed to do.

Had I proceeded with the rip, I would never know whether Passkey or Fab was the one that removed those cells...

Not really bugs per se, but maybe Passkey could use a little tweaking??

This is the sort of stuff that creates lotsa questions in the forum...

DC

Hi DC,

For dvd shrink problem, please try dvd shrink "deep scan" option to see the result.

For unplayable cell, it cannot be removed completely, or else it will break DVD navigation. DVDFab Passkey will replace it with empty cell, and you still can see it in DVDFab.

Best Regards,
    Fengtao
    Last edited by fengtao; 03-07-2010, 12:30 PM.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
      Hi DC,

For dvd shrink problem, please try dvd shrink "deep scan" option to see the result.

For unplayable cell, it cannot be removed completely, or else it will break DVD navigation. DVDFab Passkey will replace it with empty cell, and you still can see it in DVDFab.

Best Regards,
      Fengtao

Thanks for that answer... I also discovered that disabling Pathplayer will allow DVD Shrink to access that disk with no problems... will also try Shrink's Deep Scan to see how that handles Pathplayer enabled.

Re unplayable cells, that's about what I expected...

Would still prefer to use Fab (old) for ripping, as things like Clone, Customize, etc. can be retained and used as before for ripping... almost makes me wish I had D/L the non-CSS version for the ripping process, although I don't know if it has been updatd for some of the structural protections, as it doesn't have Shrink's Deep Scan option...

DC

Last edited by DarthCopier; 03-07-2010, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Download the non-css version from DVDFab.net and give it a try if you really want to. I was thinking of doing that but figured that using passkey with the free version of DVDFab would be good enough for that testing

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
          Download the non-css version from DVDFab.net and give it a try if you really want to. I was thinking of doing that but figured that using passkey with the free version of DVDFab would be good enough for that testing

I agree (for test purposes), but we should also keep in mind that many users out there who are loyal Fab fans will want to keep things as similar to what they are used to as possible... a modified current version of Fab (or the Non-CSS version) would do that job admirably... all current users would still have all the modes (DVD to DVD, Main Movie, Customize, Clone etc.), rather than having everyone looking for a ripper to use, and make our job impossible by trying to keep up with 50 zillion different free and otherwise rippers, which would turn helping people into a nightmare...

N'est-ce pas??

DC

P.S. I am assuming, possibly in error, that Passkey is the new face of DVDFab...

Comment

DVDFab CSS version will always be available, so if you just want to copy DVD/BD with DVDFab, it will stay same.

DVDFab Passkey allows you to use other programs to access DVD/BD, like player or other copy software.
            DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
            http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
              DVDFab CSS version will always be available, so if you just want to copy DVD/BD with DVDFab, it will stay same.

DVDFab Passkey allows you to use other programs to access DVD/BD, like player or other copy software.

OK...Thank you for the feedback.

Knowing how well Fab works, though, can't imagine needing to use anything else... unless I totally change the way I do back-ups...

Thanks, again, Fengtao

DC

Comment

Working...
              X