This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Passkey a new DVD Region and CSS Free

I have been using DVDFab since version 3. When I bought it I bought it in a package with DVD Region and CSS Free, which did the same thing that it looks like Passkey does. If Passkey is basically the same thing as DVD Region and CSS Free, will I be able to get the registered version free (I bought a lifetime license for DVD Region and CSS Free) or will I be required to pay again for the same features?

I still use DVD Region and CSS Free, since I have original DVDs from several different regions, but it hasn't been updated in several years and doesn't work with newer DVDs.

Hi eleszar,

DVDFab Passkey is freeware in BETA.

Best Regards,
    Fengtao
    Last edited by fengtao; 03-13-2010, 06:18 AM.
    DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
    http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

I appreciate that, but it won't be in beta forever. What happens then?

Comment

Originally posted by eleszar View Post
        I appreciate that, but it won't be in beta forever. What happens then?
        A frequently asked question, in our heads only if not in posts.
        Seems the "research of a market" is under way to establish an optimal price.
        I would be happy if proven wrong estimating the price would be $150+.

Comment

Originally posted by alcyone View Post
          A frequently asked question, in our heads only if not in posts.
          Seems the "research of a market" is under way to establish an optimal price.
          I would be happy if proven wrong estimating the price would be $150+.

You could be right, but on the other hand, Fengtao may not sell too many if he prices it higher then the competition-who-shall-remain-nameless... the one we all know, anyways...

DC

Comment

I just don't get it what is the big deal of not naming the competitive product if we all know what it is. What, afraid of competition!? I guess the same goes for the other forum as well. Well, it is their forum and they make the rules so we must abide by it or else.

This reminds me of the movie Harry Potter when the characters are not allowed to utter the name-you-know-who.

Comment

You guys are all speculating, the program is a great one, Fengtao has never taken advantage of his customers, his prices will be fair. R&D costs money, thats a fact, his programs are always updated and work. His prices are fair if not cheaper than the competition. I will always buy his software because I have faith that he will be here and gives us what we need.
              Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by toaddub View Post
                I just don't get it what is the big deal of not naming the competitive product if we all know what it is. What, afraid of competition!? I guess the same goes for the other forum as well. Well, it is their forum and they make the rules so we must abide by it or else.

This reminds me of the movie Harry Potter when the characters are not allowed to utter the name-you-know-who.
                I agree Toaddub, its a silly rule, but its not a big deal to me. I use whatever software I have to get the job done and this software does just that. For me anyway.
                Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
                  You could be right, but on the other hand, Fengtao may not sell too many if he prices it higher then the competition-who-shall-remain-nameless... the one we all know, anyways...
                  Well, the price of the Passkey could be about the same as of [the product that may not be named].
                  But I'm more concerned that Passkey is unfair to old DVDFab customers. See this post...

Originally posted by toaddub View Post

I was thinking alike and asking pretty much the same - see this thread...
                  Last edited by alcyone; 03-13-2010, 07:43 PM. Reason: cosmetic

Comment

None of you are answering his question. He's stating that "Passkey" is similar (though updated and supports blu-ray as well) to the old DVDFab product "DVD Region and CSS Free". He wants to know if he'll get a discount on "Passkey" because it appears to largely be the same product from the same company by the same people.
                    Last edited by matt; 03-13-2010, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                      None of you are answering his question. He's stating that "Passkey" is similar (though updated and supports blu-ray as well) to the old DVDFab product "DVD Region and CSS Free". He wants to know if he'll get a discount on "Passkey" because it appears to largely be the same product from the same company by the same people.
                      Essentially, you are right. But even fengtao didn't answer eleszar's question.
                      I'm getting the impression that DVDFab may go out of (proper and regular) updating with the "advent" of Passkey. So, I might end up in quite similar situation as eleszar...

Comment

Thank you for actually getting the point of my post, Matt.

I was very dissappointed when Fengtao abandon his prior products, and I am happy he is revisiting them. I just don't think it's fair to ask loyal customers to pay full price for a product that is basically an upgrade to a product they are already supposed to have lifetime upgrades for.

Comment

Originally posted by alcyone View Post
                          I'm getting the impression that DVDFab may go out of (proper and regular) updating with the "advent" of Passkey. So, I might end up in quite similar situation as eleszar...
                          At the risk of derailing the topic for a second time... it all depends how they've been coded. If the code base for the decryption part of both Passkey and DVDFab is interchangeable then they should keep up with each other. If they're not then I suspect that Passkey will always be ahead for decryption. But really, unless fengtao is willing to comment on the issue this really all is speculation.

More importantly eleszar still doesn't have an answer for his question.
                          Last edited by matt; 03-13-2010, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                            But really, unless fengtao is willing to comment on the issue this really all is speculation.

More importantly eleszar still doesn't have an answer for his question.
                            Totally agree with both statements. He can get the definitive answer only from fengtao.
                            With all due respect and apologies to eleszar, I will only add that Fengtao Inc. has been quite secretive regarding the Passkey license upgrade from "DVD Region and CSS Free", and overall licencing policy... for the reasons unknown.

Comment

I hope that Passkey would free the those that have a valid lifetime license for DVDfab.

Comment

Working...
                              X