This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSODs & crash on Win7 64bit.

Passkey ran fine for me on Win7 64bit for a couple of days, but now it BSODs or crashes every time it tries to open a BD-3D disc (the same disc worked fine before).

The BSOD is Stop 0x00000050 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) in PxHlpa64.sys. It happens 100% of the time now.

... except once it crashed instead:

Faulting application name: DVDFabPasskey.exe, version: 7.0.3.2, time stamp: 0x4c497707
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdbdf
    Exception code: 0x0eedfade
    Fault offset: 0x0000b727
    Faulting process id: 0xf58
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb2da389ab8481
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab Passkey 7\DVDFabPasskey.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: dfcd456d-9996-11df-b7a1-001d60e01234

Note I'm running VirtualCloneDrive too, as well has having 3 optical drive (CDRW, DVDRW & BD-ROM). The crashes happen with the BD-ROM drive, not with mounted CloneDrive images (but it worked previously with the same drive).
    Last edited by m_p; 07-27-2010, 04:23 PM.

Correction, it now happens opening CloneDrive too.

Is it maybe getting invalid data from the Internet query today? It was fine the last two days on the same discs & images...

Comment

I'm trying to find a minidump for you - they're enabled and the BSOD shows that it's being written to disk - but I can't find any .dmp files in my Windows\Minidump directory! I also have no entries in the Windows logs about it (I used to get both fine on XP).

I've had this problem for a while and can't figure it out. The only thing unusual is that I'm running the OS of an SSD drive - could this be the cause? Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

@m_p
        Maybe the dump file is: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
        resigned

Comment

Also instead of using another companies virtual drive why not use DVDFabs virtual drive as it free as well and link to it is below.

Comment

PxHlpa64.sys is not a Windows nor a DVDFab driver. It belongs to Sonic Solutions. Therefore you should report the BSOD to them instead to DVDFab.
            Just remove the filter and the file and you will get no BSOD anymore.
            人生は贈り物であり、完全な喜びを経験する必要があります
            Life is a gift and should be experienced in full joy

Comment

@ AGJ thanks, didn't know about it. Although it's good to test compatiblity with others during the beta phase.

@ Blazkowicz, good point (I'll have to figure out what program it shipped with), however un/reinstalling Passkey has also just worked even with that driver still on the system. It also worked for a few days originally so I wonder what went wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by xubin View Post
                @m_p
                Maybe the dump file is: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
                No, it's weird. As I said, I can see the minidump being written on the blue-screen, but on a reboot there's nothing there (and no log entry either).

My hunch is that the disc doesn't flush the written information properly, maybe because it's an SSD (firmware bug?).

Comment

Originally posted by Blazkowicz View Post
                  PxHlpa64.sys is not a Windows nor a DVDFab driver. It belongs to Sonic Solutions. Therefore you should report the BSOD to them instead to DVDFab.
                  BTW as you're a moderator here I have to say you're wrong. First Passkey should work with as many configurations as possible, so reporting incompatibilities is important.

Second, there is a good chance Passkey is causing the crash. The driver that's reported in a BSOD is not necessarily the driver that caused the problem - drivers can corrupt each other's memory for example. The fact that the BSOD always happened when Passkey was trying to open the disc, that it doesn't happen without Passkey installed, and that Passkey worked before and now again with the other driver still installed, makes an issue in Passkey's driver likely.

So please, don't discourage people from reporting issues like this.

Comment

And, is the BSOD happening when it is removed?
                    人生は贈り物であり、完全な喜びを経験する必要があります
                    Life is a gift and should be experienced in full joy

Comment

Originally posted by Blazkowicz View Post
                      And, is the BSOD happening when it is removed?
                      The BSOD went away after uninstalling & reinstalling Passkey, no other changes.

Comment

PxHlpa64.sys is installed when the OS gets installed as that filter is for Media Center and the DVD burn option within Media Center

Comment

Right, thanks.

Comment

as for the memory dump
                            sometimes windows is programed to place it straight in the root drive
                            if you want to program it to store in a specific place
                            right click my computer, click properties,(in win 7)click advanced system settings, click settings under startup and recovery, and where it says sytsem root change it to where you want the files to be saved (note after each dump the original file will be overwritten (since i dont know of a code to write a new one on each occurance))
                            (C)ROBDOG 2010
                            (C) SN and pic only

Comment

Thanks, but mine is already pointing to the standard minidump directory (%SystemRoot%\Minidump) and yet nothing is there on reboot.

Comment

Working...
                              X