MP4 to WMV Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP4 to WMV Issue

When using DVDfab to convert a 3 minute video from an MP4 to a WMV file, it appears as if it starts to convert, gets to roughly 33%, and, the system just hangs. I can't even cancel out of it. I have to go into the processes and cancel the process to exit.

I work in the I'T' field and have access to a number of machines, and, no matter what PC I try, the same thing happens. they are all XP SP2 machines. however, when trying it on my Windows 7 Pro machine, it works perfectly.

Any ideas?

Edit - I've tried this with a number of different MP4 files and they all do the same

Well, for a start, the XP machines should be SP3 and all the current .NET frameworks installed.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Well, for a start, the XP machines should be SP3 and all the current .NET frameworks installed.
      Thanks so much for the quick reply. When you say "all of the current .NET frameworks", I assume you mean the latest one? As in Net Framework 4.0?

Once again, thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Ok. I just downloaded SP3, installed it and installed Net Framework 4.0 (on 3 different fresh installs of XP), and, still, it starts to convert a file and stops (always around 30-35%), and, with the same MP4 file, on my Windows 7 machine, it works perfect.

Can anyone think if anything in Windows 7 that I may not have in XP? Does it need codecs installed?

Comment

IIRC, you need .Net frameworks from 2-4.

Fab needs no external codecs. All internal.

Then again, you may need external codecs for your player software but then again, I use VLC or MPHC as all codecs are internally contained.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

IIRC, you need .Net frameworks from 2-4.

Fab needs no external codecs. All internal.

Then again, you may need external codecs for your player software but then again, I use VLC or MPHC as all codecs are internally contained.
            Im starting to lose hope I have net framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5SP1, 4.0 and Windows Service pack 3 with ALL windows updates. I've installed on a number of machines, all with fresh copies of Windows XP professional, and, no matter what, i cant get the same exact video to encode that works perfect on the Windows 7 machine

Thank you for your patience....

Comment

May I ask a couple of questions here?

Why use WMV anyhow? I regard WMV encodes with the greatest disdain...

As a test, does a MKV encode work OK?

Comment

May I ask a couple of questions here?

Why use WMV anyhow? I regard WMV encodes with the greatest disdain...

As a test, does a MKV encode work OK?
                You ask a very "good" question. i work I.T. in a fairly big company, and, the reason they wanted this software, is, because they have a Flip Camera and want to convert the video files to WMV for training purposes.

When they said they needed good software, I suggested this software. i never had a problem with it, although, I was using Windows 7 (completely overlooked that)

So, when they ordered it, they asked that i install it on the PC of the guy in their department that would be using it. He has XP. It installed fine, but, now, they cant convert any of their files. So, being I'm in I.T., they're coming down on me to get this working. Which kinda sucks. And, that's my nightmare :*

Edit - They're importing into Adobe Captivate and WMV is the only format (they say) that will work.

Comment

Well, I sympathise with your pain having been in the IT industry for 30+ years, the last 10 focussing on media.

Firstly they are telling you "Porkies" (Australian vernacular for Lies, Porkies->Pork Pies->Lies)

Tell them to RTFM, this is directly from the Adobe Captivate spreadsheet:- "Multivideo support and synchronization new
                  Import video in a wide variety of formats (AVI, MOV, FLV, MPEG) and synchronize it with the project, slide, or set of slides."

I have never seen any package such as this that will not import AVI's so I would be looking at that as a distinct option.

I would most probably start off trying a generic.avi.xvid.mp3 profile!!

Hope this helps !!

Regards GB

Originally posted by GaryJ73167 View Post
                  You ask a very "good" question. i work I.T. in a fairly big company, and, the reason they wanted this software, is, because they have a Flip Camera and want to convert the video files to WMV for training purposes.

When they said they needed good software, I suggested this software. i never had a problem with it, although, I was using Windows 7 (completely overlooked that)

So, when they ordered it, they asked that i install it on the PC of the guy in their department that would be using it. He has XP. It installed fine, but, now, they cant convert any of their files. So, being I'm in I.T., they're coming down on me to get this working. Which kinda sucks. And, that's my nightmare :*

Edit - They're importing into Adobe Captivate and WMV is the only format (they say) that will work.

Comment

PS: Are you sure that it has been installed and running with "Administrator" privileges?

Comment

Well, I sympathise with your pain having been in the IT industry for 30+ years, the last 10 focussing on media.

Firstly they are telling you "Porkies" (Australian vernacular for Lies, Porkies->Pork Pies->Lies)

Tell them to RTFM, this is directly from the Adobe Captivate spreadsheet:- "Multivideo support and synchronization new
                      Import video in a wide variety of formats (AVI, MOV, FLV, MPEG) and synchronize it with the project, slide, or set of slides."

I have never seen any package such as this that will not import AVI's so I would be looking at that as a distinct option.

I would most probably start off trying a generic.avi.xvid.mp3 profile!!

Hope this helps !!

Regards GB
                      Hahaha. you're the best. Yeah, tomorrow (as I'm outta here in about 10 minutes), I am going to try a different format rather than WMV and see how I make out. I will post my results here. if they dont break down the doors to the server room first and set me on fire

Comment

PS: Are you sure that it has been installed and running with "Administrator" privileges?
                        Yes. I am positive. I have full admin rights on all machines in the building.

Comment

Yeah, aren't users fun to deal with?

And I bet they ordered the software the day before they were due to start on a new, urgent project !!

Comment

Yeah, aren't users fun to deal with?

And I bet they ordered the software the day before they were due to start on a new, urgent project !!
                            Are you sure you dont work here? Seriously. they order stuff at the VERY LAST POSSIBLE MINUTE, drop it in my lap and say "make it work". Unreal....

Comment

Nah, but I did say that I worked in the IT industry for 30+ years !!!

Originally posted by GaryJ73167 View Post
                              Are you sure you dont work here? Seriously. they order stuff at the VERY LAST POSSIBLE MINUTE, drop it in my lap and say "make it work". Unreal....

Comment

Working...
                              X