Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie conversion speed question ATI DVD

dear group

I am a beginner and have some problems with DVDFab'Converter.

I got a decent PC (well, it is two years old. 4 cores, 4 gig, win 7 32bit and ATI 5750 grapixcard).

Since I am totally new to this business I was keen on learning that nowadays graphiccards can assist the conversion process.

So, what do I have to do in order to convert different sources into a format my LG DVD player (the one at the TV) understands?
    FYI I use a FAT32 USB drive as the place where I store my videos and this one is connected to the LG DVD player that can be connected to a USB drive/stick or vice versa. Though this might not be necessary to know for you. What is is the fact that my DVD player can read DIVX avi files and may be other formats.

What I successfully did with DVDfab was to convert with the profile 'generic avi DIVX mp3'.

But this takes long. Only 40FPS or so on my PC.

When I choose the 'generic avi H.642' then it converts with 100+ FPS.
    So, I think this is related to the fact that DVDfab then uses my graphicscard.
    Since it is an ATI card the settings say it uses DVAX:

What means VC1?

Am I correct in my assumption that DVDFAB can only use my graphicscard's GPU when I encode/convert into H642 which my LG DVD player can not read`?

How can I assist the conversion speed into plain and old DIVX or XVid?

Should I get CoreAVC?
    should I ....

please help me and forgive my may be wrong vocabulary since I am non English and no techie.

Hi TSchneider75
    Your computer is not that bad it is the GPU that you have that is your bottle neck.

If you plan on doing a lot of converting I suggest that you get a good NVidia GPU that has cuda support.

As far as converting different sources you will need to find out what formats your DVD player supports and go from there.

If I were you I would format your drive from FAT32 to NTFS, as FAT32 has a 4GB file limit size and anything over that will cause you problems.

You will get different FPS depending on the code that you choose, and choosing one that your GPU supports will aid in the converting process.

Fengtao
    Currently the ATI Stream support is limited to video decoding only. It's the problem of AMD driver, and we need to wait for driver updates to support H.264 video encoding. Also the decoding speed of ATI Stream is not much faster than DXVA, but it should be more stable than DXVA.
    The main goal of VC-1 development and standardization is to support the compression of interlaced content without first converting it to progressive.

Hope that I have covered most of your questions
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Ok

thank you.

I didn't know that VC-1 is a MS version of a codec.
      I still do not know why you offer Divx and Xvid as target.

What I will do now is to convert/re-encode different sources by different profiles and see which my DVD player takes. Then I will opt for the fastest profile since my source files are mostly already encoded in the one or other way (I did download for ex. videos from the video repository of some of our well known TV stations - the vids they offer for download or stream watching - flv etc.)...

cheers

Comment

Working...
      X