Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOB Files Registering as Shorter Duration, Not Ripping Properly

Hi, All,

I recently had issues ripping episodes from a DVD (see here: http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=17046 for more details). It seems that there may be some issues with the authoring on these particular DVDs.

Since that wasn't working I decided to rip the DVD to VOB files which worked fine. I then purchased DVD Video Converter so that I could then convert these files to AVIs. The problem is that when I load up these videos they're registering at about 1:48 in duration. They're episodes of a TV show and should be around 24:00 each.

I tried to rip them anyway and they yielded 9KB files which play nothing. I've verified all the VOBs play fine (using VLC) at the full length.

If anyone knows any settings I should use or change it would be highly appreciated. I'm beginning to think this project just was not meant to be. :-)

You would need to use DVD Ripper on the original disc to create the AVI so that DVDFab has the needed information. DVD authors aren't required to make correct VOB files because they can just put the info in the DVD structure instead.

Comment

That's just the issue. Ripping to AVI on the original disc does not work. It causes DVDFab to crash. Across the 10 DVDs in the set there are issues with about 10 or so of the 60+ episodes that will not rip properly, they just crash DVDFab.

Comment

Are you ripping the disk to your HDD first?

Have a read of my "DVD to Mobile" thread. Link below in my signature.

I wrote it a few years ago but the principles still apply.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

You may have to wait for DVDFab to fix the issue in the future release.

The only other option is to remux the VOB files with a third-party tool to correct the time codes if you are intent on AVI. However, this will often result in out-of-sync audio where the DVD author has created irregular pull-down (one of the processes in creating DVD compliant video). You can start your education at videohelp.com but it is not for the impatient or undetermined.

The H264 (MP4 or MKV) encoder in DVDFab may be able to handle the content more successfully.

Comment

GregiBoy,

I followed the instructions word-for-word in your signature and the same thing happened. Right as it was going into 2nd pass DVDFab crashed the same as before.

Complication,

I've tried the MKV and other formats. Other than VOB none of them have worked for the specific chapters I've been having trouble with.

I'm starting to think that I need to wait for DVDFab to release a version to fix these issues. There are a lot of inconsistencies with ripping these titles. I've had better luck with older versions of DVDFab and even now I can rip the whole titles (all chapters) with no real problems.

It's really frustrating considering I bought this software specifically for this purpose. I'm not really sure what to try next.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Comment

Working...
            X