Stuck at 100% won't continue to next file - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck at 100% won't continue to next file - Part 2

As the title states, when I am converting video files into another video and audio codec the conversion will get stuck at 100% and won't start converting the next file.

To explain it better:
    1. I open up DVDFab with a default conversion profile selected (MKV + MP3). 2. I select the target folder for the output on my HDD.
    3. I select the source folder folder on my HDD for the files to be converted.
    4. DVDFab begins analyzing the 50 to 100 video files found in the source folder.
    5. I click Start.
    6. Conversion: one pass is displayed in the Info tab. This conversion finishes within a minute to two minutes.
    7. Conversion: one pass is displayed a second time in the Info tab. This conersion reaches 100% and remains their for about 40 minutes+ until an error stating DVDFab threw an error and wants me to send an error report. I have always sent the error report.
    8. DVDFab closes and reopens.
    9. Rinse and repeat the steps above but starting a new file I haven't converted yet. And yes, I have deleted the file it gets stuck on and started the conversion process from that point at which it will get passed it with no problems but proceeds to get stuck on the second file.

However, the record so far for the most consectutive files converted before it gets stuck at 100% indefinitely is 10! *claps?*

Also, I have attached a screenshot of when it has happened recently and noticed Windows Explorer stopped responding which is why it is in the screenshot. I don't know if that happens consistently but I included it anyway.

And yes I have went to General -> A/V -> And set everything to Software.

System specifications:
    - i7 3930k OC'd to 4.3ghz (stable according to running various stress tests and temp's never reaching past 50C).
    - Corsair Dominator 32GB of RAM.
    - Corsair 1200W PSU.
    - Corsair H100 CPU Cooler.
    - EVGA Geforce 680 GTX.
    - Max CPU Temp: 54C (under stress tests, playing BF3 it never goes past 40C). Idle CPU Temp: 30-34C.
    - Max GPU Temp: 54C (under stress tests, playing BF3 it never goes past 45C). Idle GPU Temp: 25-30C.

Temperatures never reach above 40C while converting the files and the load never goes above 70%. RAM never goes above 14% load during conversion.

However, I do notice that when DVDFab get's stuck at 100% my CPU load goes to idle (0-2%) and downclocks itself since the comptuer is just sitting their for 40 minutes twiddling it's thumbs.

Help please .
    Attached Files

It seems you've discovered the upper limit for files in the queue to be converted is 10.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

The limit is only 10!? o.O

So should we write this up as a bug or an enhancement? As a software developer myself, this could be considered a bug since there are no business rules upon the selection of the video files to be converted stating about such limitation.

Now that I thought about it some more I believe it is a bug. Here is my reasoning:

- The UI thread is still responsive and so is the timer on an asynchronous thread, hence why you can still use DVDFab even after it becomes stuck and the timer at the bottom right continues to "tick".
      - This indicates that the background threads handling the conversion process is blowing up silently somehow. I suspect the main thread that is joined with the processing threads is trying to access a resource that is being tied up by another asynchronous thread. This additional asynchronous thread is most likely used to pre-render the videos that are to be converted. This async thread is accessing this shared resource which isn't locked properly thus the main thread (not the UI thread or the thread the timer is on) that is also trying to access this resource to find the next video to convert is throwing a silent unhandled exception which completely haults the conversion process. This would allow the UI thread to still properly operate because the unhandled exception didn't propagate to the top UI thread.

But to be on the sure side that it is truly DVDFab throwing a silent unhandled exception, I will check my system and event logs of when this occurs.

Let me know if the developers think otherwise or if you can come up with anything.

Thanks!

Comment

I figured out how to make it work! If you open the folder that has 50ish videos to be converted and only select 10 of them on the main UI (not the popup that displays after you select the source) then it starts to convert them all perfectly, all 50ish in the source folder. I still think there may be something screwy going on here but I found a work around and that is what counts for me .

Comment

Working...
        X