How to get the highest quality rip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get the highest quality rip?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this ripping stuff, but I've started ripping some 3d Blu-rays because I like how files take up no physical space, but I'm still looking for the highest quality possible.

1. What file type should I rip? I've been doing MKV thus far.

2. What audio format should I select? Generally, I either see AC3 or audiocopy. I've been ripping AC3, but I believe that the audiocopy is higher definition?

3. Another thing that confuses me is that, if I select audiocopy as opposed to AC3, the "remove HD audio" check box disappears. Secondly, the largest bitrate I can get when ripping a movie with audiocopy is 30,000 as opposed to 40,000 (noticed this on The Amazing Spider-man . . . haven't tested it on anything else). Why do both of these things happen?

4. I've been doing full-SBS rips as opposed to half-SBS rips because my computer's 3D supports it. The picture is beautiful, but there are black bars on the left and right of the picture. I'm not sure if it's because two images (left and right) are overlapping and actually going a little bit off the screen or what. All I know is that one eye shows a picture flush to the left side of the screen with a black space on the right and the other eye shows a picture flush to the right of the screen with a black space on the left. I've thought of doing top/bottom to see if the picture would at least not go off the screen and just take up some of the extra space that would normally already be above and below a widescreen movie anyway, but I'm not sure if that would work.

5. When I ripped "The Amazing Spider-Man" into Full SBS MKV AC3 3D, I selected 40,000mb for a bitrate, but the file size came out almost 10 gigs less (~29gb) than it should have (~39gb). Why did that happen?

Thanks!

Hi guitarlifter,
    1. mkv container is OK;
    2. audiocopy is better. You can get ac3-truHD and DTS/DTS/DTS HD Master hd by it;
    3. Remove HD audio check box is in Audio list. Please see my attached pic;
    The max bitrate of the profile "3D.mkv.h264.audiocopy" in Fab8 is 30,000. So it isn't a bug;
    4.We'll the black bar issue and the low size issue asap. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Originally posted by terry5 View Post
      Hi guitarlifter,
      1. mkv container is OK;
      2. audiocopy is better. You can get ac3-truHD and DTS/DTS/DTS HD Master hd by it;
      The max bitrate of the profile "3D.mkv.h264.audiocopy" in Fab8 is 30,000. So it isn't a bug;
      4.We'll the black bar issue and the low size issue asap. Thanks for your support!
      See the pic.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by terry5 View Post
        Hi guitarlifter,
        1. mkv container is OK;
        So does DVDFab 9 go higher in bitrate? Like 40k? I'm wondering because I know for a fact that some blurays go upwards of 40+ mbps in bitrate, and I don't mind the big file sizes.

Comment

I guess to elaborate, I want the same bitrate as the original blu ray, kinda like how audiocopy is the same bitrate and everything as the bluray audio, and I know some blu-rays go above 30mbps.

Also, I found out the black bar issue. It was PowerDVD. In order to increase the 3D depth, it has to overlap the two images more. There's a term for this, but I forget what it's called. I learned the term from Stereoscopic player when I learned how to increase or decrease the 3D. It HAS to overlap the images, thus losing some resolution on the sides.

Comment

Working...
          X