Roku 3 - MKV to MKV (H264)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roku 3 - MKV to MKV (H264)

I have used DVDFab ripper almost exclusively to rip DVD's to MKV.
    However, I have just received a Roku 3 and it wont play any MKV (so far).

The Roku 3 supports:
    Video — MKV (H.264), MP4 (H.264), MOV (H.264) WMV (VC-1, firmware 3.1 only)

My trial of DVDFab Video Converter has expired and so am asking if this product will convert my MKV filles to MKV (H.264)?

Alternatively will it convert to MP4 (H.264)?

If Yes, to either question, is any better than the other.

For example, MediaInfo for Skyfall says: MPEG Video.

PS The files will be shown on a Panasonic Plasma 50" TV.

When you select MKV passthrough or check the box "copy video" the resulting file is MPG. I know for sure converter will convert MKV MPG to H.264, haven't tried an MP4 but it seems likely it will convert OK. What is the MP4 video format and check it for you?

I may have misunderstood the question, if you're asking if an MKV MPG file can be converted to an MP4 H.264 file by converter then the answer is yes it can.
    Last edited by 90312; 01-12-2014, 03:05 AM.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

There were 3 questions:
      1) Can I convert a MKV MPG to MKV H.264. The answer seems to be yes.
      2) Can I convert a MKV MPG to MP4 H.264. The answer seems to be yes.
      3) Since I have to convert, which would be better (MKV or MP4) for viewing on a Panasonic Plasma 50" HD (Full HD)?

Comment

I'm not sure it makes a lot of difference really, I like MKV myself just a personal preference. Try both and see which you like best.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Many thanks for your help.

Comment

I own a Roku and have been ripping disks to Mkv format for awhile now.

At first, I ran into a few problems, but then I went to the Roku website and looked into it for a bit and here is what I found which should work for you.

Once you have DVDFab loaded up and you have a disk in the drive, click on the advanced settings button for the MKV codec that you are using.

I've attached a .png image showing my MKV settings which I've been using.
            Attached Files

Comment

What if you wanted the hd audio will it work with it?

Comment

Anytime I've made the mistake of using 5.1 multi channel, there would be no audio when using the Roku.

But using the the settings in the attached image, everything works just fine.

Comment

But then you can't play hd sound seems to me this should work that's what pass through or audio copys for. I can't get it to work with hd sound and a regular blu ray player.

Comment

Pass through isn't going to pass the audio through to the TV set directly. First it's gotta be processed by the device which is playing the video.

In the case of the Roku, it won't support 5.1 audio so you get no audio on the TV.

When I changed the MKV settings, the only changes that I made is this:

Codec: AAC
                    Channels: Dolby ProLogic II

I don't touch the Sample Rate or the Bit Rate

This part is Optional:
                    Video Quality: High Quality Encoding (This is why it shows as "Customized")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All I know is my Mkv videos have been playing back with no problems. The Mkv files I place on a flash drive. From there, they play just fine plugged into the Roku or even my Sony BlueRay player or I can play them on my computer if I want.

With the Roku, you would play the video using the following App from the Roku Channel Store. Click on image for Details.

It looks like they upgraded the Roku Media Player as now it supports playback from Media Servers on your network which it previously didn't support a few months ago.

Comment

Roku, Seagate Central and DVDFab 9

Ok, I'm going round in circles trying to crack this myself, but not succeeding!!!!
                      I have had Seagate Go Flex Cinema for 3 years and used DVDFab to get all my DVD's onto Go Flex, everything fantastic, apart from having wires!!! I've been brought Seagate Central (wireless) and I spent 3.5 days copying all dvd's, music and photos to find that DVD's are in wrong format. On Go Flex every DVD would have an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS so I guess this is my problem as Roku will only play MPV(H.264), MP4, MOV(H.264) or TS(H.264). At present I am trying to convert one DVD to MP4 and it says 2.5hrs left!!!!! So, my question is............which is best and quickest format to use and what settings do I use? I have some DVD's that only have the picture and the sound is missing when I transferred. Btw, I also let kids watch through Xbox, so format has to be for normal TV and Xbox (and iPads!!!!) I really need some guidance to get the audio on

Comment

An MP4 with AAC audio should play on all the above for you.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                        X